Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Mridu Rajkhowa <mr...@rediffmail.com> on 2007/04/03 10:10:04 UTC

License in Neogia (OFBiz)

CollabCAD is a Java based distributed CAD/CAM Software System developed by
 Computer Aided Design Group of National Informatics Centre, the IT
Support professionals from India. CollabCAD is based on well proven Open
domain technologies like Java, Java 3D, Java RMI, Open Cascade geometry
kernel. CollabCAD supports open standards such as XML, STEP, IGES, VRML.
You may visit our website (www.collabcad.com)

CollabCAD has been integrated with  Jakarta Slide, a content management
system and Bonita, a Workflow Management System.

We are interested in bundling Neogia (Ofbiz) with CollabCAD. We will not
be making any changes in Neogia source code.

Since Neogia is open software under the GNU General Public License (GPL), we
would like to confirm that we are permitted to distribute Neogia along
with CollabCAD. At a later stage, if we do make some modifications we are
willing to publish them.

with best regard
mridu pobon

Re: License in Neogia (OFBiz)

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Torsten,

> > If you look more closely to the Neogia Demo you'll find that the
> > accounting, facility, and manufacturing modules are different from
those
> > of Ofbiz.
>
> Yes. And I think they are those from Opentaps, aren't they?
>
> I mean, I am not quite sure what the original work of Neogia is. It
looks like a re-packaged Opentaps to me.

Neogia has some components wich replace OFBiz ones : accounting,
facility, and manufacturing. They are mostly generated from UML class
diagrams, some parts of them are developed in a standard way (by hand
;o). The other components, including Opentaps are originals.

Jacques

> Regards,
> Torsten
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:07:10 +0100
> Von: "Amine AZZI" <ba...@gmail.com>
> An: user@ofbiz.apache.org
> Betreff: Re: License in Neogia (OFBiz)
>
> > Torsten,
> >
> > If you look more closely to the Neogia Demo you'll find that the
> > accounting,
> > facility, and manufacturing modules are different from those of
Ofbiz.
> > what I like the most in Neogia is their code generator which
generates
> > module's code from a UML model stored in XMI format. BTW, their
modified
> > modules are almost completely generated code.

> > Regards.
> > Amine.
> >
> > 2007/4/3, Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>:
> > >
> > > Mridu!
> > >
> > > Do you really mean Neogia or do you mean Opentaps or do you mean
OFBiz?

> > > I need to say when I briefly looked at Neogia I was somewhat
confused
> > > about two things:
> > >
> > > 1. How can something based on OFBiz be GPL? Aren't the Apache
License

Re: License in Neogia (OFBiz)

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.

Datum: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:07:10 +0100
Von: "Amine AZZI" <ba...@gmail.com>
An: user@ofbiz.apache.org
Betreff: Re: License in Neogia (OFBiz)

Re: License in Neogia (OFBiz)

Posted by Amine AZZI <ba...@gmail.com>.
Torsten,

Re: License in Neogia (OFBiz)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Torsten,

Torsten Schlabach wrote:
> Mridu!
>
> Do you really mean Neogia or do you mean Opentaps or do you mean OFBiz?
>
> I need to say when I briefly looked at Neogia I was somewhat confused about two things:
>
> 1. How can something based on OFBiz be GPL? Aren't the Apache License and GPL incompatible?

In two words, Neogia's license (GPL) is more restrictive than OFBiz's
license (ASL2.0), and so they can use (and they actually do it) our
stuff but we can't use their.

Jacopo

Re: License in Neogia (OFBiz)

Datum: 3 Apr 2007 08:10:04 -0000
Von: "Mridu Rajkhowa" <mr...@rediffmail.com>
An: user@ofbiz.apache.org, user-help@ofbiz.apache.org
Betreff: License in Neogia (OFBiz)

Re: License in Neogia (OFBiz)

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.
Mridu,

You guys already asked me about this for opentaps, and the answer is
probably the same for Neogia: since you do not allow your users to
access your source code, you cannot incorporate GPL-based Neogia either.

*You really should consult an attorney instead of ask on mailing lists
though.*

Re: License in Neogia (OFBiz)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Mridu,