Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com> on 2022/01/14 17:07:47 UTC

Serious issue with the web site

Hi,

While looking for documentation, I was browsing the apache web site and it
seems seriously broken. When I follow the pages from
https://netbeans.apache.org/ I get:
https://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/platform.html
 where a lot of links are broken. Even the images where when I go trough
google on page
https://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/platform/
the page is fine!!

Notice the difference? Currently the site is not properly browsable. Only
google allows you to find the proper pages, if you know what you are
looking for...

The links to the previously package info are broken as well...

Re: Serious issue with the web site

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 17:08, Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I follow the pages from
> https://netbeans.apache.org/ I get:
> https://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/platform.html

Follow which pages?  There is no direct link from the homepage to
there that I can tell.

Neil

Re: Serious issue with the web site

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
On 14.01.22 23:18, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 January 2022 5:28:17 AM AEDT antonio wrote:
>> All tutorials have this at the top:
>>
>> "This tutorial needs a review. You can open a JIRA issue, or edit it in
>> GitHub following these contribution guidelines."
>>
>> With a proper link to the documentation contribution guidelines, which
>> has a nice video explaining how to contribute (thanks, Gj!).
>>
>> Sadly, it seems people is lazy enough to read the contribution
>> guidelines / watch the video, and prefer to send emails instead.
> I did the review and updated some of them in the platform stream (new
> screenshots, etc) about a year ago. So it is not quite true that they all have
> it.
>
>   However as an external contributor, I found it took a while for those PRs to
> get reviewed and merged. So I moved on while I waited to see if I was doing it
> right. I'm not suggesting that this is a common case (because I haven't seen a
> lot of other people try it), just describing my impression.
>
> Brad

the website repo might not be on the radar for many since it has low
traffic and is not a code repo. If you think your PR is getting
overlooked just ping someone directly or drop a mail here to speed
things up.

-michael

Re: Serious issue with the web site

Posted by Brad Hards <br...@frogmouth.net>.

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
All tutorials have this at the top:

"This tutorial needs a review. You can open a JIRA issue, or edit it in
GitHub following these contribution guidelines."

With a proper link to the documentation contribution guidelines, which
has a nice video explaining how to contribute (thanks, Gj!).

Sadly, it seems people is lazy enough to read the contribution
guidelines / watch the video, and prefer to send emails instead.

Cheers,
Antonio

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com>.
The site that currently online is not the latest version. I compared the
sources. Not the same. The one on github master seems fine.

For example

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apache/netbeans-website/master/netbeans.apache.org/src/content/kb/docs/platform/index.asciidoc

is supposed to render this page:

https://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/platform.html

but why does the one above not work and the following one yes:

https://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/platform/

Probably related the way asciidoctor generates its sites (sound familiar to
me). The .html file must an older one. However, the site still references
the old pages...

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
On my way!

It seems the web archive is currently down, so'll have to wait a little
bit to have those "dzone" links we're talking about.

Also there's some nice content at blogs.sun.com/blogs.oracle.com we may
want to point to.

Cheers,
Antonio