Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Maher Martin <MM...@Webasto.de> on 2005/04/13 12:38:54 UTC

Searching an NTFS File Server

Hello all,

We're currently evaluating search tools to cover the following
requirement:

We have an NTFS file server with 2 TB of files (word, excel, pdf, txt,
etc). We would like to index all these files and integrate a simple web
application into our intranet which will allow users to login using
their windows credentials and search through this file index, returning
only hits to files matching the users search criteria, to which the user
has the *necessary rights* to view.

My questions are:

-        How does one generate the list of results, so that the list
contains only entries that the user may view? Should the returned list
of results be post processed to filter out the invalid entries, and if
so how?

-        Is 2 TB of data to large to be handled by Lucene?

-        Has anybody implemented a similar type of application?

Thanks in advance

Martin