Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com> on 2012/06/21 23:16:23 UTC

Announcement: Beta release of tapestry-cometd

I'm proud to announce the beta release of tapestry-cometd: A push
implementation for Tapestry based on CometD

Features:
* Zero Javascript required
* Fully configurable
* Use Tapestry templates to format incoming messages
* POJO messages (use strings or custom objects)
* Built on top of the rock solid CometD library
* Supports Jetty Continuations
* Topic abstraction (on top of CometD channels)
* Choice of client update strategies when a message arrives (append, prepend
or replace)

The project is hosted on github here
https://github.com/uklance/tapestry-cometd

There is a demo webapp with a chat example and a random stock price example
https://github.com/uklance/tapestry-cometd-demo

I'd love to hear your feedback, please keep in mind that this is an early
beta release with more features and documentation coming soon.

Cheers,
Lance.

Re: Announcement: Beta release of tapestry-cometd

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
> The question is: how much of this can I look at before I build something
right into 5.4?  Licensing, copyright, liability, etc.
I'm happy to release it under any license you'd like (Apache / MIT). I'd be
honoured if you'd consider it as a tapestry submodule

Re: Announcement: Beta release of tapestry-cometd

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
CometD supports websockets
http://cometd.org/documentation/2.x/howtos/websocket

Re: Announcement: Beta release of tapestry-cometd

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
It might just be worth it to consider supporting websockets in the
core instead. Wicket just added experimental support for websocket
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Wicket+Native+WebSockets),
we might be able to reuse parts of it. Once IE 10 ga release is out,
browser penetration would actually start looking pretty good.

Kalle

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
> Why do we need tapestry5-jquery as a dependency?

Unfortunately, CometD does not have a core implementation. It has core
javascript with abstract functions and it has dojo and jquery
implementations but no core implementation as such.

I would have loved to have not needed tapestry-jquery.

Re: Announcement: Beta release of tapestry-cometd

Posted by Dragan Sahpaski <dr...@gmail.com>.
Why do we need tapestry5-jquery as a dependency?
I can see you don't use it in the main project.

Cheers,
Dragan Sahpaski

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
The question is: how much of this can I look at before I build something
right into 5.4?  Licensing, copyright, liability, etc.

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> I'm proud to announce the beta release of tapestry-cometd: A push
> implementation for Tapestry based on CometD
>
> Features:
> * Zero Javascript required
> * Fully configurable
> * Use Tapestry templates to format incoming messages
> * POJO messages (use strings or custom objects)
> * Built on top of the rock solid CometD library
> * Supports Jetty Continuations
> * Topic abstraction (on top of CometD channels)
> * Choice of client update strategies when a message arrives (append,
> prepend
> or replace)
>
> The project is hosted on github here
> https://github.com/uklance/tapestry-cometd
>
> There is a demo webapp with a chat example and a random stock price example
> https://github.com/uklance/tapestry-cometd-demo
>
> I'd love to hear your feedback, please keep in mind that this is an early
> beta release with more features and documentation coming soon.
>
> Cheers,
> Lance.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry