Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jason <ja...@webpipe.net> on 2000/05/19 18:49:18 UTC

Installation Difficulties

I can't seem to get this to work at all.  It's rather frustrating.  Maybe
I've missed a step here.  Let me detail what I've done.

I am currently running Redhat 6.2 , Apache 1.3.12 , and JServ 1.1.1b1.
I downloaded the Linux .tar dist.  Untared the file to /usr/local/cocoon ,
and added the following line to jserv.properties :
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/jdk1.2.2/lib/tools.jar

I then added the following line to the zone.properties file:
    servlet.org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.initArgs=properties=
        /usr/local/cocoon/conf/cocoon.properties  (all on one line)

Then I added this to the jserv.conf file:
    Action cocoon /servlets/org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
    AddHandler cocoon xml

I moved the samples directory to the document root.

I restarted apache and ... nothing.

I've attached copies of the files.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Installation Difficulties

Posted by Matthew Cordes <mc...@maine.edu>.
On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 02:05:47PM -0600, Jason wrote:
> My question is, what user does the servlet engine process run under?  Is it
> 'httpd' or the apache user 'nobody' or is it another?

why not just do "ps aux | grep -i java" and look for a line like this:

nobody   23692  0.0 20.4 113640 19608 ?      S    14:43   0:00
/usr/local/java/IBM-jdk-1.3.0/bin/../bin/exe/java org.apache.jserv.JServ
/etc/apache/jserv/jserv.properties

my jserv is running as user nobody, as is apache

nobody    6320  0.0  0.7  3992  752 ?        S    May14   0:00
/usr/local/sbin/httpd

thus all servlets ( including cocoon ) are running as nobody.
You could do this on your box as well.

You could then "chown nobody.nobody <path_to_repository>/repository"
"chmod 700 <path_to_repository>/repository" and that will 'probably'
work.

-matt

Re: Installation Difficulties

Posted by Nishit Trivedi <ni...@planet.net>.
but if u can send me your cocoon.properties, i can compare it with mine and
suggest u something...

nishit
Internet Programmer
Planet Access Networks
973-691-4704 Ext:157
Posted by Jason <ja...@webpipe.net>.
For those who are interested, the servlet engine process runs as the same
user as apache, user 'nobody' in this case.

jason

Site Design, Hosting, and E-Commerce at www.webpipe.net

RE: Installation Difficulties

Posted by Jason <ja...@webpipe.net>.

Re: Installation Difficulties

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Jason wrote:

> >From the faq...
>
> Create a directory where the servlet engine process is owner and has 600
> access mask. Then change the following configuration to match the absolute

I have been running many versions of cocoon already, but none worked
with access mask 600, I needed 755 as the minimum every time.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung