Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Attila Bukor <ab...@apache.org> on 2018/07/25 19:55:23 UTC

securing our infra

Hi Everyone,

I've noticed that our infra is somewhat lacking in terms of security:

- http://kudu.apache.org doesn't redirect to https://kudu.apache.org
- https://jenkins.kudu.apache.org doesn't exist, even though secure information
  is sent to this server (passwords)

The newest Chrome release will show warnings when connecting to http://
sites[1], so I think it's about time to fix these and I'd like to volunteer to
do it.

What are your thoughts? Please let me know if I missed any other
security/infra-related shortcomings.

Thanks,
Attila

[1] https://www.wired.com/story/google-chrome-https-not-secure-label/

Re: securing our infra

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 9:46 AM, Attila Bukor <ab...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 01:20:39PM -0700, Mike Percy wrote:
> > I don't really think it's a major security issue since passwords and
> > personal credentials are not transmitted over http.
> Yeah, this is more like a nice to have to prevent Chrome from
> complaining.
> >
> > However +1 from me, we should be able to do the http -> https redirect in
> > the .htaccess file @ https://github.com/apache/
> kudu/blob/gh-pages/.htaccess
> Nice, thanks, didn't know .htaccess is checked in. Just submitted a
> review: https://gerrit.cloudera.org/c/11162/
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 12:21 PM Dan Burkert <da...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I think redirecting http://kudu.apache.org to https://kudu.apache.org
> > > would
> > > be a great step.  Adding https to the jenkins instance would also be
> nice,
> > > but there may be some complication because of the infra it's hosted on
> (I
> > > think a Cloudera-managed GCE instance?).
> Dan, do you know who manages this part of the infra?

Usually that's me. We are just using
https://github.com/carlossg/jenkins-swarm-docker to start the Jenkins
server.

-Todd