Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mike Pepe <la...@doki-doki.net> on 2006/04/22 15:57:49 UTC

same message, different scores

Hi folks, I got two spams through today and I'm a little confused as to why.

Spam 1:

 From lamune@quadzilla  Sat Apr 22 01:28:34 2006
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:11:16 -0700
From: "Lyle Grisham" <Je...@fen.com>
To: <la...@doki-doki.net>
Subject: FWD: Cathy Caparula, Ref # QG3836-I34V

ATTN: Cathy Caparula,

After a lookover of all your infomation, I'm delighted to inform you of
your acceptance.

http://5ag420.iscool.net

Just fill-out your details on our web site above.

God Bless,
Lyle Grisham

Now, I run it through sa manually, and the report looks like:

  pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
  4.0 CATHY_CAPARULA         BODY: Email addressed to Cathy Caparula
  3.5 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
                             [score: 1.0000]
  1.6 RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET RBL: Received via a relay in bl.spamcop.net
              [Blocked - see
<http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?221.155.184.221>]
  3.9 RCVD_IN_XBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
                             [221.155.184.221 listed in
sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org]
-2.9 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

The second spam is almost identical to the first.

I guess the question is: why such radically different scores? is the
auto-scanning not using my custom CATHY_CAPARULA rule?

Re: same message, different scores

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Mike Pepe wrote:

>> We need some background on your setup:
>>
>> How do you call SA to get your mail scanned at delivery time?
>> Do you use spamd to scan your mail?
>> If so, did you restart spamd after adding your rule?
>> Where is your CATHY_CAPARULA rule declared (ie: what file)?
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> The system is FC3, running SA 3.1.1
>
> I use procmail piping the messages through spamd.
>
> I'm not sure if I restarted spamd after I made that custom rule, but
> that rule lives in /etc/mail/spamassassin
>
> If I don't restart spamd, and I modify rules, would that cause what I am
> seeing?

Yes.. spamd only reads the files in /etc/mail/spamassassin when it loads.

> Would running spamassassin directly evaluate the message
> differently than going through spamd?

Yes. The spamassassin script parses all the config files from scratch when it
starts. Also, unlike spamd, it will honor rules in user_prefs by default. Spamd
requires the allow_user_rules setting to do that.

Re: same message, different scores

Posted by Mike Pepe <la...@doki-doki.net>.
> We need some background on your setup:
>
> How do you call SA to get your mail scanned at delivery time?
> Do you use spamd to scan your mail?
> If so, did you restart spamd after adding your rule?
> Where is your CATHY_CAPARULA rule declared (ie: what file)?

Hi Matt,

The system is FC3, running SA 3.1.1

I use procmail piping the messages through spamd.

I'm not sure if I restarted spamd after I made that custom rule, but
that rule lives in /etc/mail/spamassassin

If I don't restart spamd, and I modify rules, would that cause what I am
seeing? Would running spamassassin directly evaluate the message
differently than going through spamd?

-Mike

Re: same message, different scores

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
Mike Pepe wrote:
> Hi folks, I got two spams through today and I'm a little confused as
> to why.
>
> Spam 1:
>
> From lamune@quadzilla  Sat Apr 22 01:28:34 2006

<snip>