Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> on 2014/12/20 01:07:54 UTC

Removing the Ant Bootstrap

I myself have not used the bootstrap in 18 months. I use a previously built version of Maven. Anyone using it? Anyone care if I remove it?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

-- Thoreau

Re: Removing the Ant Bootstrap

Posted by Michael Osipov <19...@gmx.net>.
> I myself have not used the bootstrap in 18 months. I use a previously built version of Maven. Anyone using it? Anyone care if I remove it?

You just read my mind. I had this idea for weeks but didn't had the option to work on that.
I strongly support to remove all build files for Ant. Maven for Maven only.

Along with that, the Maven Ant Tasks need to be removed at all. Those who need them are free to use Aether Ant Tasks.

Michael

Re: Removing the Ant Bootstrap

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
If you use it that's fine. No harm in it being there.

I find it more consistent to build Maven with Maven. Personally I don't want to ever have to update the Ant build file again.

On Dec 20, 2014, at 1:09 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> Perso I use it as I find it very convenient. Not extra unzip, env var to
> change just running ant cli, etc..
>
> What is the problem with? It just works fine.
>
> --
> Olivier
> On 20 Dec 2014 11:54, "Barrie Treloar" <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 20 December 2014 at 10:37, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:
>>>
>>> I myself have not used the bootstrap in 18 months. I use a previously
>>> built version of Maven. Anyone using it? Anyone care if I remove it?
>>

>> +1.
>> It's a complicated setup that can be avoided.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

 -- Shakespeare

Re: Removing the Ant Bootstrap

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.