Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de> on 2015/01/18 16:09:50 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Context-specific configuration for Apache Sling, Multitenancy

On Saturday 04 October 2014 01:53:38 Stefan Seifert wrote:

hi Stefan,

> this proposal is about context-specific configuration, that means
> configuration that cannot be stored as OSGi configurations. OSGi
> configurations are always system-wide, so they are not well-suited for
> storing configurations per context e.g. site, region or tenant. this is
> related to the multitenancy discussion on this list, see [1] for a summary
> of the past discussion.
>
> we've implementation a solution for this and are currently thinking about
> donating it to Apache Sling. a documentation of what is currently
> implemented is at [2]. the most relevant pages you should read are [3],
> [4], [5], [6]. the implementation is based on the requirements from [7],
> although not all that is listed on that page is implemented currently (but
> a good deal of it). source code is at [8], a sample application at [9].
>
> the current implementation is targeted to a specific sling-based CMS - but
> besides the configuration editor and the parameter persistence provider it
> does not depend on the CMS API but only on the Sling APIs, being
> technically suited to be donated to Apache Sling. it's already published
> under apache license 2.0.
>
> i'm interested if there is more need in the community for solving the
> requirements i've listed, and the solutions we have implemented for it. and
> if there are other sling committers who want to take part in its
> development and enhancement as well. although we're using the current
> implementation from wcm.io already in our projects nothing of it's current
> architecture is carved in stone and i'm open to broaden the scope of
> requirements it should support.
>
> WDYT?

what's the status here? Will you move this project to Sling?

Is it possible to read/write configurations of the current resource only or
are configurations always collected up the tree?

Thanks,
O.

Posted by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de>.
hello oliver.

>what's the status here? Will you move this project to Sling?

this is not decided yet, no precise plans yet. this depends if it is useful for a broader audience in the sling community and projects/applications built with sling. until then just try it out from wcm.io. additionally i wanted to experiment with carstens idea to define configuration parameters using annotation classes as defined in the new OSGi specifications, but i had found no time for this yet.
we already use this in production, but surely there is still room for improvement.

>Is it possible to read/write configurations of the current resource only or
>are configurations always collected up the tree?

this depends on the "configuration finder strategey" used. our intention is that the configuration is normally not in the current resource, but always somewhere up in the tree. or in a shadow tree like /conf. see [1] and [2] for details.

stefan

[1] http://wcm.io/config/api/terminology.html
[2] http://wcm.io/config/api/usage-spi.html