Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by er...@eunet.at on 2000/07/19 12:02:21 UTC

XML & resources

Hi Cocoon Users,

I hope that this mail is not OT (I appologize if it is).

We are starting development on a larger project centered around Cocoon,
and we need several tools.Thus I am asking if any kind soul can point us
to some resources on the web where we can find something. We will need

        - a good XML-XSL editor that runs under linux
        - Optimize-It has been mentioned as a tool to trace the
performance of servlets. Where can we get it?

        - also we java need class libraries for
                -numeric intensive computations (matrix manipulations,
maths..)
                -error logging and tracing (which method is envoked,..),

                        debugguing, verbose levels (output for
debugging)
                -File IO
                -Smart DB access (persistance)

    (we have strong experience in program development, but  some of us
are starting OO, so any input is appreciated, eg. a book containing
interesting stuff)

If some of these classes should not be available to the public, we
intend to develop them and make them available, if there is some
interest.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Ernst

Re: XML & resources

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
ernst.nusterer@eunet.at wrote:

> Hi Cocoon Users,
>
> I hope that this mail is not OT (I appologize if it is).
>
> We are starting development on a larger project centered around Cocoon,
> and we need several tools.Thus I am asking if any kind soul can point us
> to some resources on the web where we can find something. We will need
>
>         - a good XML-XSL editor that runs under linux

FWIW, there's one called Merlot that looks decent. Try www.freshmeat.net
and do a search. vim works fine for me.

>         - Optimize-It has been mentioned as a tool to trace the
> performance of servlets. Where can we get it?
>
>         - also we java need class libraries for
>                 -numeric intensive computations (matrix manipulations,
> maths..)
>                 -error logging and tracing (which method is envoked,..),

IBM's open source log4j (http://www.log4j.org) is very nice. The Avalon
framework (at http://www.java.apache.org) also has it's own logging
facilities, and many other services which may be useful to you

>                         debugguing, verbose levels (output for
> debugging)
>                 -File IO

java.io.*? Within Cocoon, there's Jeremy Quinn's FP taglib and a bunch
of other neat taglib stuff to play with.

>                 -Smart DB access (persistance)

You could try http://castor.exolab.org. If you do, try Donald Ball's
wz-castor logicsheet (last I heard,
http://www.webslingerZ.com/balld/wz-castor-0.2.zip)

--Jeff

RE: XML & resources

Posted by Chris Todd <cl...@bellatlantic.net>.
Ernst,

I am quite a newbie to XML and XSL and Cocoon, but I have a little
experience with java, and our company is also considering building part of
our application on top of Cocoon.  Below are some of the resources I have
found useful as a newbie to XML/XSL/Cocoon:

The XML Pocket Reference, Robert Eckstein, O'Reilly Assoc.  (Whenever I have
needed to fiure out how to do a particular thing in XML or XSL, I have gone
to this book, and the answer has been there.  Proof that a good book doesn't
have to be 900+ pages.)
Java and XML, Brett McLaughlin, O'Reilly Assoc.  (A bit wordy, but that can
sometimes be reassuring for newbies like me.  I am sure more experienced
java and/or XML/XSL developers would find this book pedantic and slow, but I
have found it quite helpful.  It has a whole chapter devoted to Cocoon as
well that's available on O'Reilly's website).
<plug value="shameless">Of course, the Cocoon website and this mailing list!
</plug>

As for tools, Xeena from IBM (alphaworks.ibm.com) appears to be a decent
editor if you need to quickly and easily create an XML document that adheres
to a given DTD.  IBM also makes an XSL editor that is knda nice, too (also
at the alphaworks website).  Both are Java apps and in my experience run as
well under Linux as under windows (though I think they require the jre 118-I
seem to remember something about they don't work in java 2).  Finally, from
this list, I just recently discovered XSpLit
(http://www.percussion.com/xmlzone/technology.htm), which is handy for
creating XSL Stylesheets from an existing HTML page.  It has been
interesting to me to try to figure out how and why XSplit formatted a
particular stylesheet a certain way...

As for the other stuff you mention, I can't help you much except to say it
sounds like you might want to explore Enterprise Java Beans.

Sincerest regards,
Chris Todd
Software Engineer
Alabanza Corporation