Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Curtis Ullerich <cu...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/18 04:49:09 UTC

Debugging YARN AM

Hi all,

I can successfully debug the MapReduce ApplicationMaster in standalone mode
by launching the pi estimator example with this command:

hadoop jar hadoop-mapreduce-examples-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar pi
"-Dyarn.app.mapreduce.am.command-opts=-Xdebug
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=8000" 10 10

and then attaching a debugger to port 8000 using Eclipse. This doesn't work
with the DistributedShell example, presumably because it's not configurable
with yarn.app.mapreduce.am.command as it's not MapReduce. Looking in
yarn-default.xml, I don't see an equivalent parameter. For learning
purposes, how can I debug the DistributedShell example (and other AMs)?

Thanks!

Curtis

Re: Debugging YARN AM

Posted by Curtis Ullerich <cu...@gmail.com>.
For others looking for a solution, here's one way to do it.

You can add the arg directly to the code in hadoop-yarn-applications-
distributedshell/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/yarn/
applications/distributedshell/Client.java

Rather than referencing line numbers (as there are frequent commits to
this), find the variable 'vargs' inside Client.run(). The first item added
to that list is the qualified path to /bin/java.
vargs.add(Environment.JAVA_HOME.$() + "/bin/java");

Add this line below that:
vargs.add("-Xdebug
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=1337");

(This will be dependent on how you're building/running)
>From the distributedshell directory, run mvn clean package -DskipTests; mvn
install -DskipTests. You may need to copy the jar from target into
hadoop-dist/... so it's properly available on Hadoop's classpath.

Run the jar like normal
hadoop org.apache.hadoop.yarn.applications.distributedshell.Client -jar
hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar -shell_command
whoami

In Eclipse, set up a new debug configuration for a remote Java application.
Select hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell as the project. Use
localhost as the Host and 1337 as the port., with connection type of
Standard (Socket Attach). Hit 'Debug' and Eclipse should connect to the
running Application Master. Be sure to set a breakpoint inside main (or
wherever) in the distributedshell project, which must be present in your
Eclipse workspace. Now you can step through the AM.

Let me know of any confusion or questions.

Best,

Curtis

Re: Debugging YARN AM

Posted by Curtis Ullerich <cu...@gmail.com>.