Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by kotipalli venkatesh <ve...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/08 04:16:57 UTC

Snapshots issue

Hi All,

Our CloudStack current environment is daily running recurring snapshots
enabled. Suddenly last night all VM's fully backed up ( not incremental
backups happen).

May I know the reason why all VM's are full backups. And also how to
prevent the issue.

Thanks,

Venkatesh

Re: Snapshots issue

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Venkatesh / Nitin,

XenServer has a max chain length of 32. In other words if you have a base disk (your template), with a child disk (your VM) – you can take maximum 30 snapshots on top of this before you get the “disk chain / snapshot chain too long” error – worthwhile noting when setting the snapshot.delta.max limit.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

On 08/10/2017, 07:34, "Nitin Kumar Maharana" <ni...@accelerite.com> wrote:

    Hi Venkatesh,

    I assume your hypervisor is XenServer.

    There is a global parameter called “snapshot.delta.max”, which allows us to take N incremental snapshots between two full snapshots.

    It seems, the number of snapshots has crossed that value, so it has taken a full back-up again.
    If you increase that value to a higher number, you can prevent it for long run but I don’t think you can prevent it completely.

    Anshul/Sateesh, Correct me if I am wrong.

    Thanks,
    Nitin

Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

On 08-Oct-2017, at 9:46 AM, kotipalli venkatesh <ve...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hi All,

    Our CloudStack current environment is daily running recurring snapshots
    enabled. Suddenly last night all VM's fully backed up ( not incremental
    backups happen).

    May I know the reason why all VM's are full backups. And also how to
    prevent the issue.

    Thanks,

    Venkatesh

    DISCLAIMER
    This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

Re: Snapshots issue