Posted to repository@apache.org by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com> on 2003/10/31 01:14:08 UTC

URL Syntax parts

Here is a fresh stab at what we are talking about.

I see the URL sytax having these parts
<root><distribution-unit><type><versioned artifact>
Sample
http://repo.apache.org/jakarta/commons-beanutils/jars/commons-beantutils-1.4.jar

    * root
          o http://repo.apache.org/jakarta
    * Distribution Unit Name
          o commons-beanutils
    * Type
          o jars
    * Versioned Artifact
          o commons-beantutils-1.4.jar

Root can be any valid URL
For apache I recommend  http://repo.apache.org/<top-level-project>

The Distribution Unit Name for apache would be controlled by the PMC.
It should strive to be globably unique, but that is up to the PMC.

What happens after that is what WE the repo list need to decide.
How files are put in side of a  <root><distribution-unit> like
http://repo.apache.org/jakarta/commons-beanutils/

Lets call <root><distribution-unit>  the <base-url>

Does it sound reasonable to focus our discussion on what comes afte the
<base-url>  and leave the rest upto the PMC's?

Re: URL Syntax parts

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
Things change, that is a fact that I'm just not sure we can generically
pre-empt, nor try.

Interestingly, Gump deals with a lot of the issues we are discussing here.
The main difference is that Gump purely metadata based, and lives only in
the 'now'. For changes it support aliasing.

http://gump.covalent.com/log/cvsjars.html
http://gump.covalent.com/log/bypackage.html

BTW: Gump metadata management gets incredibly stale, incredibly quickly, if
folks aren't nagged. I'm not proposing going that far w/ metadata, just
realizing the similarities in situation...

FWIIW: In Gump (and the repo it is producing) group = CVS module, not
project. That could be changed.

regards

Adam

RE: URL Syntax parts