Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Karan Jain <sa...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/11 18:14:47 UTC

Support Tesseract in Apache Solr

Hi All,

The Solr version 7.6.0 is running on my local machine. I have installed
Tesseract through following steps:-
yum install tesseract echo export PATH=$PATH:/usr/share/tesseract
>>~/.bash_profile
echo export TESSDATA_PREFIX=/usr/share/tesseract >>~/.bash_profile

Now the deployed Solr is supporting tesseract. I searched TESSDATA_PREFIX
in https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr and found no reference there. I
could not understand How Solr came to know about the deployed tesseract.
Please tell the specific java class in Solr if possible.

Thanks for your time,
Best,
Karan

Re: Support Tesseract in Apache Solr

Posted by Edward Ribeiro <ed...@gmail.com>.
I second Jorn: don't deploy Tesseract + Tika on the same server as Solr.
Tesseract, specially with OCR enabled, will drain your machine resources
that could be used to indexing/searching. In addition to that, any
malformed PDF could potentially shutdown the Solr server. Best bet would be
to use tika-server + tesseract on a dedicated server/container and then use
it to extract the text/ocr from the documents and then send it to Solr.

But answering your question: Solr embeds Tika that can be configured to use
Tesseract. It's Tika that knows about Tesseract. See here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TIKA/TikaOCR for more
information.

Best regards,
Edward