Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu> on 2004/07/07 17:56:16 UTC

Native JVM Continuations

James Strachan writes [1]:

"Spent a great afternoon & evening with John Rose from Sun (compiler &
VM team), who's on the Groovy JSR - we've managed to figure out many
of the gremlins in the language. Plus I learnt quite a bit about the
JVM. e.g. it might not be that hard to implement continuations at the
JVM level! Apparently the JVM already does a kind of continuation
internally for optimising bytecode - so if you want native
continuations, hassle the good folks at Sun & raise some bug reports,
maybe we can persuade them to sneak it into 1.6 :). Native Java
continuations would totally rock - and avoid all that inefficient
bytecode swizzling we'd have to do to implement continuations on top
of the JVM."

[1] http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/2004/07/07.html#a490

Regards,

Tony

Re: Native JVM Continuations

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Tony Collen wrote:

> James Strachan writes [1]:
>
> "Spent a great afternoon & evening with John Rose from Sun (compiler &
> VM team), who's on the Groovy JSR - we've managed to figure out many of
> the gremlins in the language. Plus I learnt quite a bit about the JVM.
> e.g. it might not be that hard to implement continuations at the JVM
> level! Apparently the JVM already does a kind of continuation internally
> for optimising bytecode - so if you want native continuations, hassle
> the good folks at Sun & raise some bug reports, maybe we can persuade
> them to sneak it into 1.6 :). Native Java continuations would totally
> rock - and avoid all that inefficient bytecode swizzling we'd have to do
> to implement continuations on top of the JVM."

Nice!

Well, I wonder what it will happen to java (or to me!) in the 7 years
that will take java 1.6 to be widespread enough for us to switch to it.

:-/

--
Stefano.

Re: Native JVM Continuations

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
On Jul 13, 2004, at 12:24 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> if you need more official ASF support, I'll be glad to help with my
> board hat.

We definitely will with the ASF on the JCP executive committee =) As it
is a JVM change I believe it requires unanimous approval, could be
wrong, need to read up on JCP bylaws.

-Brian

Re: Native JVM Continuations

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
>> Anyone know anyone (or happen to be someone) who is widely familiar
>> with continuations as a language feature, who has spare time (ha!),
>> and might be interested in seeing them go native in Java?
>

> You might want to ask the guys that have been implementing it in Cocoon.
> In strict chronological order: Ovidiu Predescu, Christopher Oliver,
> Stephan Michels and Torsten Curdt (sorry if I missed/mispelled anyone).

Count me in ...actually I am already collecting information
in my (as always) little spare time in order to prepare a JSR.

James should be more familiar with the JSR process since he
already successfully created the groovy JSR.

Cool, let's try to push it!

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: Native JVM Continuations

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
On Jul 13, 2004, at 4:34 PM, Brian McCallister wrote:
> Anyone know anyone (or happen to be someone) who is widely familiar
> with continuations as a language feature, who has spare time (ha!),
> and might be interested in seeing them go native in Java?

You might want to ask the guys that have been implementing it in
Cocoon. In strict chronological order: Ovidiu Predescu, Christopher
Oliver, Stephan Michels and Torsten Curdt (sorry if I missed/mispelled
anyone).

Ciao,
--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: Native JVM Continuations

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On the same topic, as I'm on the Java Platform "umbrella" JSR, please
let me know if I need to post some message to the EG.

	Pier

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.

> Java 1.6... that will be in 2007 :-(

surely you meant Java 6.1 here ;)

Jorg

Re: Native JVM Continuations

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Tony Collen wrote:

> James Strachan writes [1]:
>
> "Spent a great afternoon & evening with John Rose from Sun (compiler &
> VM team), who's on the Groovy JSR - we've managed to figure out many
> of the gremlins in the language. Plus I learnt quite a bit about the
> JVM. e.g. it might not be that hard to implement continuations at the
> JVM level! Apparently the JVM already does a kind of continuation
> internally for optimising bytecode - so if you want native
> continuations, hassle the good folks at Sun & raise some bug reports,
> maybe we can persuade them to sneak it into 1.6 :). Native Java
> continuations would totally rock - and avoid all that inefficient
> bytecode swizzling we'd have to do to implement continuations on top
> of the JVM."
>
> [1] http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/2004/07/07.html#a490

Java 1.6... that will be in 2007 :-(

We'd better work with James on that "inefficient bytecode swizzling" and
submit a JSR to standardize our API in 1.6...

Sylvain