Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Bruno Matos <br...@paradigmaxis.pt> on 2010/04/20 10:53:23 UTC

Mac OS X

Hello,

There is anyone working on qpid client lib (C++) for Mac OS X?

Thank you.

--
Bruno Matos
bruno.matos@paradigmaxis.pt

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Mac OS X

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 10:48 +0100, Bruno Matos wrote:
> On 2010/04/20, at 17:37, Bruno Matos wrote:

> >> There has been some interest expressed in this, and some patches have
> >> been submitted. However, the OSX runtime has no support for the gcc
> >> thread specific variables extension that we use on that compiler,
> >> fixing
> >> this isn't trivial, and the patches that have been submitted aren't
> >> good
> >> enough yet (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-2206).
> >>
> >> If you have the skills and interest we would welcome you to help, we
> >> don't have anyone in the current core team who is using Mac OS X as
> >> far
>
> Would you mind if I open a new JIRA issue to trac* my evolution on
> this and to see if more people get involved?
> I think that it can be a group of little differences from posix
> implementation, I have already found 2 , the implementation of
> pthread_t and the missing implementation of clock_gettime.

I think you mean the implementation of Thread::id() as the first issue,
if so look into removing the entire need for id() or its underlying
implementation rather than fiddling with the types. Anyway this is a
discussion we could have better in a jira.

It would actually be better to open a new Jira for each individual
issue. If you want to group them together then you could open a "holder"
jira and link them all to it. It a lot easier to review small patches
than one large patch with disparate parts.

In the interests of openness, I should point out that there is one bit
of the code that will need a new implementation, not just some small
fiddling to get it to compile: That is the IO Poller implementation
(interface in cpp/src/qpid/sys/Poller.h). Currently the only working
code is for Linux because it uses the Linux specific epoll_* system
calls (in cpp/src/qpid/sys/epoll/EpollPoller.cpp). I do not know the
MacOS equivalent though I'd guess given the BSD background of MacOS it
would be kqueue related.

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Mac OS X

Posted by Bruno Matos <br...@paradigmaxis.pt>.
On 2010/04/20, at 17:37, Bruno Matos wrote:

> On 2010/04/20, at 15:33, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 09:53 +0100, Bruno Matos wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> There is anyone working on qpid client lib (C++) for Mac OS X?
>>
>> There has been some interest expressed in this, and some patches have
>> been submitted. However, the OSX runtime has no support for the gcc
>> thread specific variables extension that we use on that compiler,
>> fixing
>> this isn't trivial, and the patches that have been submitted aren't
>> good
>> enough yet (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-2206).
>>
>> If you have the skills and interest we would welcome you to help, we
>> don't have anyone in the current core team who is using Mac OS X as
>> far

Would you mind if I open a new JIRA issue to trac* my evolution on
this and to see if more people get involved?
I think that it can be a group of little differences from posix
implementation, I have already found 2 , the implementation of
pthread_t and the missing implementation of clock_gettime.

*This is not a mention to any special open source system similar to
JIRA :)

>> as I know.
>>
>> Note that you should already be able to use the other clients
>> (Python,
>> ruby, Java) on Mac OS.
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> Thank you Andrew!
>
> I'll see what I can do.
>
> At this time we are using a Qt client, and would be better to use a C
> ++ lib than trying to make a jms proxy or something like that.
>
> Regards.

Regards.

Re: Mac OS X

Posted by Bruno Matos <br...@paradigmaxis.pt>.

Re: Mac OS X

Posted by softweyr <we...@softweyr.com>.
Most of the TLS code is gone in the modern code base.  I've looked at
replacing the remaining two with pthread equivalents so we can qpid running
on OS X.  This is merely a curiosity/development tool for me, as my
deployment platform is Debian Linux, so we'll see how it goes.

I find myself cursing Apple once again for not moving to ELF when they
adopted GCC.  Grrrr.

Re: Mac OS X

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.

Re: Mac OS X