Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by Istvan Toth <st...@apache.org> on 2020/10/21 05:23:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] Phoenix bot account for GitHub

Hi!

I've recently implemented the Yetus PR checks for GitHub PR, which for the
most part seem to work well.

However, it seems that none of the available GitHub credentials in Jenkins
let the job comment on the PR, so ATM the jobs are using my GitHub account.
It is not very professional looking, and I get spammed with mail on every
entry on every ticket that has a PR, which makes life difficult for me.

Looking at HBase (as ever), they have created a bot account, and are using
it for the same purpose.

I propose that we do similarly. The GitHub docs
<https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/github/getting-started-with-github/types-of-github-accounts>
seem
to indicate that it is OK.

One open question is how to share the credentials, so that I am not not the
only one with access. I seem to recall that we have a private SVN or git
repo for Phoenix members somewhere, that we could use to store the
login/password for it, but I cannot find it now.

Please share your opinion, and point me to the private repo, or the docs
that describes it.

regards
Istvan

Re: [DISCUSS] Phoenix bot account for GitHub

Posted by Istvan Toth <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for your feedback Geoffrey and Josh.
I've opened

for the SVN space.

--
*István Tóth* | Staff Software Engineer
stoty@cloudera.com <https://www.cloudera.com>

Re: [DISCUSS] Phoenix bot account for GitHub

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geoffrey Jacoby <gj...@apache.org>.
Not sure about the credential storage, but yes, using a bot account makes a
lot of sense.

Geoffrey