Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Doss <it...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/06 09:29:22 UTC

Tagging using SOLR

Dear all,

We are running an appalication built using SOLR, now we are trying to build
a tagging system using the existing SOLR indexed field called
"tag_keywords", this field has different keywords seperated by comma, please
give suggestions on how can we build tagging system using this field?

Thanks,
Mohandoss.

Re: Tagging using SOLR

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 12:59 +0530, Doss wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We are running an appalication built using SOLR, now we are trying to build
> a tagging system using the existing SOLR indexed field called
> "tag_keywords", this field has different keywords seperated by comma, please
> give suggestions on how can we build tagging system using this field?

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ConfiguringSolr

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SchemaXml
Define a new field named keyword and use the "text_ws" as type. Instead
of comma use whitespaces instead.
<!-- A text field that only splits on whitespace for exact matching of
words -->
    <fieldtype name="text_ws" class="solr.TextField"
positionIncrementGap="100">
      <analyzer>
      </analyzer>
    </fieldtype>
<field name="id" type="text_ws" indexed="true" stored="true"/>

HTH

salu2

Re: Tagging using SOLR

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Sep 7, 2007, at 3:09 AM, Doss wrote:
> Thanks for the guidelines, but basically our idea is to build a
> system like
> http://del.icio.us/tag/, is it possible to take counts of similar
> words from
> a solr indexed field?

How do you define similar words?

Here's a tag cloud for a single user in Collex, a system I built:

	<http://www.nines.org/permalink/cloud/tag/nowviskie>

Collex is using SOLR-139 now for tagging/annotating.

You will need to think through handling updates to your documents,
and whether you will have user-specific tags too.  Reading up on the
links I sent you and doing some experimenting is highly recommended.
It's a non-trivial  scenario with Solr at this time.

By the way, a del.icio.us competitor, Simpy, is built on Lucene - so
it is quite possible to build a heavy duty tagging system, but the
devil is in the details.

	Erik

Re: Tagging using SOLR

Posted by Doss <it...@gmail.com>.