Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org> on 2003/12/12 23:39:06 UTC

summary of current memory leak problem

I have scanned the bugs listed in jira, looking for the memory leak I'm
experiencing when I run a reactor-ized multiproject:xxx build.

What I find are several bugs which talk about various memory leaks, and
are marked fixed (most in the relatively distant past), and some more
which describe the "fix" as simply increasing the memory allocated to
the JVM. While I'm sure this is a valid workaround for most, I don't see
it as any sort of fix; it's like the old reaction of throwing
money/hardware at a problem in the hopes of [buying time] making it go
away.

I've seen some things float by on the dev list about whether or not to
fix "the" memory leak before 1.0 releases (I see this as vital to
distinguishing maven as more than a novelty project), and I'm wondering
if there is somewhere I can go for a summation of the leak's symptoms
and current diagnoses. You see, my company uses maven extensively, and
has ~30 projects which currently will not build in a single sweep with
multiproject, due to lack of memory...regardless of my adjustment up to
-Xmx512M.

I'm willing to donate another set of eyes to this problem, in the
interest of making my life easier at work, but I don't want to spend too
much time retracing others' steps - I feel this is a waste of time.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,
john

Re: summary of current memory leak problem

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
BTW, I have been able to deduce from my own usage patterns that most of
the leak seems to take place in the jelly ant task wrapper tag...for
whatever it's worth, this is always where the memory disappears never to
reappear again...

-j

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
Wow, that's great! I can't wait to take it for a spin.

john

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.