Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chandan Purushothama <Ch...@citrix.com> on 2012/10/14 01:42:18 UTC

May I know why is the "cloud-sccs" Information no longer available

Hello,

On the latest build http://jenkins.cloudstack.org/job/build-4.0-ubuntu1204/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524.tar.bz2. I observed that I can no longer use "cloud-sccs" to obtain the git commit id Information of the build used. I observed that the sccs-info file under /user/share/doc/cloud/ has been replaced with version-info file. Version-info file has the ASF License and Implementation_Version Information (looks like the timestamp of the build creation). May I know whether the git commit information has been intentionally removed from the location. If Yes, May I know how will I be able to figure out whether the build used has a particular commit id ? Kindly let me know.

The following is what I see on my management server:

asf@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524$ cloud-sccs
error: SCCS info file '/usr/share/doc/cloud/sccs-info' cannot be found
asf@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524$ sudo cloud-sccs
error: SCCS info file '/usr/share/doc/cloud/sccs-info' cannot be found
asf@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524$ sudo su
root@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524# cloud-sccs
error: SCCS info file '/usr/share/doc/cloud/sccs-info' cannot be found
root@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524# cd /usr/share/doc/cloud
cloud/            cloud-client/     cloud-core/       cloud-python/     cloud-server/     cloud-system-iso/
cloud-awsapi/     cloud-client-ui/  cloud-deps/       cloud-scripts/    cloud-setup/      cloud-utils/
root@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524# cd /usr/share/doc/cloud/
root@Rack3Host11:/usr/share/doc/cloud# ls
version-info
root@Rack3Host11:/usr/share/doc/cloud# vim version-info
root@Rack3Host11:/usr/share/doc/cloud#

Thank you,
Chandan.

Re: May I know why is the "cloud-sccs" Information no longer available

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Chip Childers
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Chandan Purushothama
> <Ch...@citrix.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On the latest build http://jenkins.cloudstack.org/job/build-4.0-ubuntu1204/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524.tar.bz2. I observed that I can no longer use "cloud-sccs" to obtain the git commit id Information of the build used. I observed that the sccs-info file under /user/share/doc/cloud/ has been replaced with version-info file. Version-info file has the ASF License and Implementation_Version Information (looks like the timestamp of the build creation). May I know whether the git commit information has been intentionally removed from the location. If Yes, May I know how will I be able to figure out whether the build used has a particular commit id ? Kindly let me know.
>>
>> The following is what I see on my management server:
>>
>> asf@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524$ cloud-sccs
>> error: SCCS info file '/usr/share/doc/cloud/sccs-info' cannot be found
>> asf@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524$ sudo cloud-sccs
>> error: SCCS info file '/usr/share/doc/cloud/sccs-info' cannot be found
>> asf@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524$ sudo su
>> root@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524# cloud-sccs
>> error: SCCS info file '/usr/share/doc/cloud/sccs-info' cannot be found
>> root@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524# cd /usr/share/doc/cloud
>> cloud/            cloud-client/     cloud-core/       cloud-python/     cloud-server/     cloud-system-iso/
>> cloud-awsapi/     cloud-client-ui/  cloud-deps/       cloud-scripts/    cloud-setup/      cloud-utils/
>> root@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524# cd /usr/share/doc/cloud/
>> root@Rack3Host11:/usr/share/doc/cloud# ls
>> version-info
>> root@Rack3Host11:/usr/share/doc/cloud# vim version-info
>> root@Rack3Host11:/usr/share/doc/cloud#
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Chandan.
>
> David had to remove that, due to CLOUDSTACK-329.  Building from a
> non-git cloned copy is a requirement for the source distribution.
>
> -chip

Yes - I removed it - even though the function that creates sccs-info
and configure-info have statements that fill this with non-helpful
information, apparently it wasn't making it to those cases. The fact
that this has been a long complained about problem for folks building
cloudstack (Wido raised this concern about a year ago) and the fact
that in 4.1 we are finally defenstrating waf convinced me we could do
without it at this point. Essentially if you have a copy of cloudstack
that doesn't generate this and your rpm build wasn't broken you are
within just a few revs of the tip of 4.0. (I didn't remove it from
master, as we are going to generate RPMs and DEBs without sccs-info.

--David

Re: May I know why is the "cloud-sccs" Information no longer available

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
Probably related - when I run "./waf install" on a clean source tree, I get…

"Unable to install the file 'sccs-info' (not found in dir:///usr/src/apache-cloudstack-4.0.0-incubating-src)"

The file's getting created - if I run the same cmd a second time everything's OK.

John

On Oct 13, 2012, at 6:04 PM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>
 wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Chandan Purushothama
> <Ch...@citrix.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On the latest build http://jenkins.cloudstack.org/job/build-4.0-ubuntu1204/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524.tar.bz2. I observed that I can no longer use "cloud-sccs" to obtain the git commit id Information of the build used. I observed that the sccs-info file under /user/share/doc/cloud/ has been replaced with version-info file. Version-info file has the ASF License and Implementation_Version Information (looks like the timestamp of the build creation). May I know whether the git commit information has been intentionally removed from the location. If Yes, May I know how will I be able to figure out whether the build used has a particular commit id ? Kindly let me know.
>>
>> The following is what I see on my management server:
>>
>> asf@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524$ cloud-sccs
>> error: SCCS info file '/usr/share/doc/cloud/sccs-info' cannot be found
>> asf@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524$ sudo cloud-sccs
>> error: SCCS info file '/usr/share/doc/cloud/sccs-info' cannot be found
>> asf@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524$ sudo su
>> root@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524# cloud-sccs
>> error: SCCS info file '/usr/share/doc/cloud/sccs-info' cannot be found
>> root@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524# cd /usr/share/doc/cloud
>> cloud/            cloud-client/     cloud-core/       cloud-python/     cloud-server/     cloud-system-iso/
>> cloud-awsapi/     cloud-client-ui/  cloud-deps/       cloud-scripts/    cloud-setup/      cloud-utils/
>> root@Rack3Host11:/opt/cloud/CloudStack-oss-4.0.0-524# cd /usr/share/doc/cloud/
>> root@Rack3Host11:/usr/share/doc/cloud# ls
>> version-info
>> root@Rack3Host11:/usr/share/doc/cloud# vim version-info
>> root@Rack3Host11:/usr/share/doc/cloud#
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Chandan.
>
> David had to remove that, due to CLOUDSTACK-329.  Building from a
> non-git cloned copy is a requirement for the source distribution.
>
> -chip

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella

Re: May I know why is the "cloud-sccs" Information no longer available

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.