Posted to droids-dev@incubator.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org> on 2012/01/18 18:43:57 UTC

Re: Droids status (Was: Actively retiring projects)

On 01/12/2012 11:49 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,

>>> S: Somewhat active, still not enough for a TLP. Last report mentions
>>> IP clearance issues?
>>> R: Ask for a graduation plan in next report.
>> I'm a mentor this project and will get things moving.
> Great!
>
>> You say it isn't active enough for a TLP. My question is what constitutes
>> active enough?
> Basically one that meets the criteria described in [1]. My subjective
> interpretation is that Droids isn't quite there yet. I explain:
>
> I see 186 Droids commits in 2011, 178 of which were committed by you
> and Bertil Chapuis. And it looks like Bertil's last commit was in
> April. As a result 95% of the commits in the last 6 months were by a
> single committer. (Please don't interpret any of these numbers as
> indicating some unwritten limits, I'm merely using these statistics to
> highlight the issue.)
>
> So it looks to me like the project still needs to work on growing the
> community before gaining the critical mass needed to survive the loss
> of any single contributor. Once that's done, I think Droids will be
> ready to graduate.
>
> The ManifoldCF podling so facing a similar problem, so my related post
> [2] to connectors-dev@ might also have some useful ideas for Droids.
>
>> The IP clearance issue has been cleared up. That shouldn't have been in the
>> report.
> OK, good.
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#community
> [2] http://s.apache.org/community-lessons-from-tika
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Thank you Jukka.

A lot of those commits from me were release preparation. Adding headers,
moving files around, and several release attempts and rollbacks.
However, many of them were code, and your point is valid.

I have read your email to ManifoldCF, and Droids is in a very similar
position.

We certainly need better documentation. That should help get more people
involved. We'll see what we can do about getting more people actively
involved over the next few months.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Richard

Re: Droids status (Was: Actively retiring projects)

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Here's another thought:
The commits that included new/modified code were also commits from patches contributed via JIRA.  I believe some contributors had several patches and may have more of uncommitted patches in JIRA.  Why not see if it makes sense to turn them into committers?  That should lead to diversification, expansion, and more activity.

Otis

----
Performance Monitoring SaaS for Solr - http://sematext.com/spm/solr-performance-monitoring/index.html