Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff Marendo <jm...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/13 17:10:50 UTC

JNDI Realm and Password Encryption

Hello,

I'm using the JNDI realm and communicating with a
Novell eDirectory (LDAP) server for authentication and
authorization purposes.  We're communicating on port
389, which is non-secure.  I know the user ID and
password is stored in plain text (within
/conf/server.xml), but what I'm not sure about is if
the password is encrypted in any way when Tomcat tries
to establish an initial connection to the eDirectory.
My guess is that it isn't but would be, if we were
using HTTPs over port 636.

Does anyone have any ideas on this or know for certain
how the JNDI realm works in this regard?

Jeff

p.s. I'm using Tomcat 5.0.28

Re: JNDI Realm and Password Encryption

Posted by david delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
Sniffing protocol would probably give you an idea about this :)