Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Daniel López Robles <da...@acotelsa.com> on 2009/11/19 12:11:19 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] [SOLVED] Apache 2.2.14 and "Allow service to interact with desktop"

Hello:

We found the problem.

We have a lot of virtual hosts, which are launching a lot of rotatelog.exe processes, which are consuming so much memory that the desktop heap is getting exhausted. About desktop heap:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2007/01/04/desktop-heap-overview.aspx

By default, it seems that Windows 2003 Server x64 allows 768 KB for the desktop heap associated with the non-interactive processes, and 20480 KB for the desktop heap associated with the interactive processes. This way, by allowing Apache to interact with the desktop, what we are really achieving is giving more memory to the rotatelog.exe processes to consume. Desktop heap is not exhausted and the problems are gone. Of course, the problem is that this way we see a lot of cmd windows in the desktop, because now they "are" interactive. The real solution is changing the following registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\Windows

The default data for this registry contains:

SharedSection=1024,20480,768

The second value is for interactive processes, and the third value is for the non-interactive processes, so we have to increase the third value.

Desktop heap can be monitorized with Microsoft's Desktop Heap Monitor:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5CFC9B74-97AA-4510-B4B9-B2DC98C8ED8B&displaylang=en#RelatedDownloads

I hope this will help someone else.

Best regards.

Daniel