Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2007/06/20 04:38:02 UTC

Turnkey packaging

Matthieu Riou wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I would like to see Ode working with some of our Web
> > Service related projects to put out some turnkey
> > solutions, e.g., Ode+Synapse+Tomcat, Ode+Tuscany+Tomcat,
> > Ode+__+Geronimo, ...  In my opinion, Ode ought to become
> > ubitquitous in WSDL-based Web Services environments, and
> > putting together some turnkey bundles would go a long way
> > to furthering that goal.

> Actually we are already. We have working integration with Axis2
> (for the WS stack) and ServiceMix (for JBI). I believe the Axis2
> integration virtually gives us Synapse integration (maybe Dims
> or Sanjiva can jump in here, I could be wrong), but I agree it
> would be nice to work out some Synapse+ODE distro.

> As for Tuscany we've been discussing with them for a while and
> the work is currently starting (see [1]). Funny that you mention
> it, I was just looking at it today.

What I'm talking about is going beyond working with them on the code, which
is good, and actually putting out turnkey binary packages that someone can
load and go.  With some canned samples.

	--- Noel

Re: Turnkey packaging

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 6/19/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Matthieu Riou wrote:
>
> > Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > I would like to see Ode working with some of our Web
> > > Service related projects to put out some turnkey
> > > solutions, e.g., Ode+Synapse+Tomcat, Ode+Tuscany+Tomcat,
> > > Ode+__+Geronimo, ...  In my opinion, Ode ought to become
> > > ubitquitous in WSDL-based Web Services environments, and
> > > putting together some turnkey bundles would go a long way
> > > to furthering that goal.
>
> > Actually we are already. We have working integration with Axis2
> > (for the WS stack) and ServiceMix (for JBI). I believe the Axis2
> > integration virtually gives us Synapse integration (maybe Dims
> > or Sanjiva can jump in here, I could be wrong), but I agree it
> > would be nice to work out some Synapse+ODE distro.
>
> > As for Tuscany we've been discussing with them for a while and
> > the work is currently starting (see [1]). Funny that you mention
> > it, I was just looking at it today.
>
> What I'm talking about is going beyond working with them on the code,
> which
> is good, and actually putting out turnkey binary packages that someone can
> load and go.  With some canned samples.

So our two distributions, for Axis2 and ServiceMix, are pretty much turnkey
packages. They're easy to deploy and include simple example processes that
you can start playing with. Just try to download our WAR distro and deploy
it in Tomcat, you'll see you can get examples up and running  within
minutes, using Axis2 as the messaging layer.

With Tuscany, we're just getting started, but as we would be their BPEL
implementation engine, I believe we'd be part of their default distribution
or one of its flavor (could make sense for them to have light / complete
packages).

And with Synapse, we still have to get started...

Overall I think we do agree with the goal to be the ring to bind them all :)
There's just already a lot to do on ODE and each integration takes time. And
if anybody on the list is willing to help for Synapse, (s)he'd be welcome!!

Matthieu

        --- Noel