Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Nicholas Bollweg <ni...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/10 17:18:30 UTC

Funding Opportunity, custom Allura(s) for Cyber\Physical design

Hi folks:
I've been kind of quiet on the line for a good long time, but had the
opportunity to do some work back in 2011-12 on a custom Allura, which has
now been released, along with a raft of other interesting things:
http://cps-vo.org/group/avm

Here are the files themselves most related to Allura (under "Georgia Tech"
and "Vanderbilt University"):
http://cps-vo.org/node/5837/browser

Between the both of these, there is some interesting stuff:
- 3D CAD viewer... the multiuser part has a non-free dependency
- twitter-like thing
- VCS hooks (two different implementations!)
- theming stuff (some of which was already extracted out and is in Apache
Allura)
- project metadata search
- various model integrations

One of the suites received funding beyond the date of what is posted there,
so there may be updates to come. The license situation is tricky, as
nominally everything is MITish, but I doubt/know the code is well audited,
but I happen to know some of authors, and I am sure we can figure something
out :)

I would love to see as much as is relevant make it back into the upstream.

According to the timestamps, this happened a while back, but I've been off
doing other things, and it was only recently brought to my attention...
basically I was a bit gunshy of just pushing my code out until the sponsor
distributed it... government contracting around free software is funny.

Additionally, there is a current effort to transition these technologies
into "commercial tools," which does not preclude open source projects under
any definition I've ever heard, as long as somebody is getting paid:
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=09ca3c2daa2d854bbb6de7171cdc7f2e&tab=core&_cview=1

I would be interested in whether the community (either as we are, or as a
more formal partnership between companies and individuals that contribute)
would be interested in putting together a proposal (9-14pg, deadline: 4pm
Thursday, 31 Oct) to transition any of the technology created by these
previous efforts into Apache Allura proper.

I hope something of interest can come of this!

Cheers,
Nick

Re: Funding Opportunity, custom Allura(s) for Cyber\Physical design

Posted by Nicholas Bollweg <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> wrote:

> Very exciting to see this finally out there.  We definitely should see if
> we can bring some of this back into Allura proper.
>
> I'd be happy to have extensions in the main Allura codebase if they are in
> pretty good shape, so that it's easier to keep them maintained and in
> working order.  Beyond that, I've been listing external extensions at
> https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/Extensions/ but over time
> I'm sure there's more we can do to support that.

I do recall that thread from a while back.

The issue I see with some of the Tools in these two source dumps is that
they are pretty niche: bill of materials, CAD viewing, etc. And most bring
along some heavy requirement (XMPP, SPARQL, AWS/S3-like etc.) Others, like
either of the hook implementations, would be a good fit for inclusion in
master.

I think these contributions are somewhat outside of the normal use case of
Allura: it's more like developing towards something that would support a
hackerspace than a distributed software development organization.

> Can you elaborate on the proposal you mentioned?  Is it a grant  proposal?

Well, I'm kind of scratching my head as well, but figured I'd throw it out
there.

It is a proposal to win a contract, not a grant: presumably one of the
organizations involved would front the proposal, and we would get creative
on how it plays out re: the community: bounties? subcontracts? Anyhow,
there would be reporting requirements, deliverables, etc. and at the

> With the goal being to get funding to do the work necessary to work
> through the technical & legal work to merge these results into Apache
> Allura?

That's pretty much the idea. Here's the angle for the Apache Allura
community:

So DARPA invested some tens of millions in an MIT-licensed toolchain (AVM)
for doing complex engineering efforts. Their goal is now to seek...

"injection of AVM tool suite capabilities into existing PLM/CAE/MBE
> products that are already available on the commercial market".

DARPA doesn't sell software, but wants people to use the technology they
bought, so it is paying a number of organizations to put this open source
software into their products and distribute it, which strictly interpreted,
sounds like selling it.

As the upstream of the collaboration portion of the suite, Apache Allura
now provides an opportunity for some of these capabilities to reach a huge
number of users, but would require expanding the box as to what Allura
does: definitely more thingaverse than sourceforge, even though software is
still important to these efforts.

Re: Funding Opportunity, custom Allura(s) for Cyber\Physical design

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Very exciting to see this finally out there.  We definitely should see if we can
bring some of this back into Allura proper.

I'd be happy to have extensions in the main Allura codebase if they are in
pretty good shape, so that it's easier to keep them maintained and in working
order.  Beyond that, I've been listing external extensions at
https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/Extensions/ but over time I'm sure
there's more we can do to support that.

Can you elaborate on the proposal you mentioned?  Is it a grant proposal?  With
the goal being to get funding to do the work necessary to work through the
technical & legal work to merge these results into Apache Allura?

-Dave

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: Funding Opportunity, custom Allura(s) for Cyber\Physical design

Posted by Nicholas Bollweg <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Witzel III <ww...@gmail.com>.
Hey Nick, this is great.