Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2014/11/07 10:42:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] Announcement draft for CloudMonkey 5.3.0 release

Hi Sally and team,

We recently voted for a new CloudStack CloudMonkey 5.3.0 release which has passed now: http://markmail.org/message/p2vkalx25uv2bx7y

Can any of the PMC members help move the voted artifact to releases over svn: (since I lack rights)

svn mv -m "Publishing Apache CloudStack CloudMonkey 5.3.0 release" https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/cloudstack/cloudmonkey-5.3.0/https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/cloudstack/releases

The artifact has been published to PYPI now. As soon as the artifact is moved to releases (above), I’ll update the links on our website.

I’ve used the template from last time that Sally helped review/make. Like last time, I thought I would share the announcement draft for your review and comments:

#### Draft start ####

<Date of announcement> November 2014 —Apache CloudStack, the mature, turnkey Open Source cloud computing software platform used for creating private, public, and hybrid cloud environments, today announced Apache CloudMonkey v5.3.0, the latest feature release of its command line interface tool.

CloudMonkey is written in Python, and can be used both as an interactive shell and as a command line tool that simplifies CloudStack configuration and management.

Apache CloudMonkey v5.3.0 is the latest feature release of the 5.x line that was first released in September 2013. Some of the new features and changes include:

• Unicode support in CloudMonkey;
• Better autocompletion for API arguments, filter arguments and config options;
• Current server profile is displayed on the prompt;
• Changing server profile prints masked values of passwords and keys;
• New command line argument -d for display options such as default, json and table;
• New config option “verifysslcert” that enables/disables SSL certificate checking when making HTTP API calls;
• CloudMonkey outputs without color on terminal in non-interactive mode;
• Better error handling, errors written to stderr and non-zero exit codes in case of error;
• Several bugfixes related to networking, server profiles and unicode string handling;

Downloads and Documentation

The official source code for CloudMonkey v5.3.0 can be downloaded from http://cloudstack.apache.org/downloads.html. A community-maintained distribution is available at the Python Package Index (PyPi) at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/cloudmonkey/

CloudMonkey's usage is documented at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+CloudMonkey+CLI Package documentation can be found at http://pythonhosted.org/cloudmonkey/

Availability and Oversight

As with all Apache products, CloudMonkey is released under the Apache License v2.0, and is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. The Apache CloudStack Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases.

About Apache CloudStack

Apache CloudStack is a mature, turnkey integrated Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Open Source software platform that allows users to build feature-rich public and private cloud environments. Hailed by Gartner Group as "a solid product", CloudStack includes an intuitive user interface and rich APIs for managing the compute, networking, software, and storage infrastructure resources. CloudStack entered the Apache Incubator in April 2012 and became an Apache Top-level Project in March 2013. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache CloudStack, visithttp://cloudstack.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/CloudStack

#### Draft End ####

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: [DISCUSS] Announcement draft for CloudMonkey 5.3.0 release

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Sally,

Yes we can do it tomorrow or at a suitable date/time this week as you advise. Would you like me to do the announcement on cloudstack lists (announcements, dev, user, marketing etc.) as I did last time or if you or any of the PMC/marketing leaders should do it? We’ll go with what you advise. Thanks.

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Thanks so much, Rohit.

We can definitely get started with the drafting process. What you have below is excellent!

Do keep us apprised of timing so we can sort out when to issue the announcement.

Kind regards,
Sally

Sorry about this email earlier, Ian suggested on the dev ML that we need two more +1 binding votes from PMC to get lazy consensus on the 5.3.0 voting. So, let’s hold this thread till it passes. We can reuse the draft once it gets passed.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.