Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andre-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca> on 2009/04/17 19:58:29 UTC

Building Tomcat 5.5.27 & tomcat-native

Hi,

I am trying to build 5.5.27, but it is asking for tomcat-native
1.1.12, though I see that only 1.1.16 is available. This being the
case, a couple of questions:
   - is this a suitable replacement?
   - where do I specify to use this version instead? I will looking
through the source in the meantime

André-John

Re: Building Tomcat 5.5.27 & tomcat-native

Posted by Andre-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca>.
On 17-Apr-2009, at 15:30, Andre-John Mas wrote:

> On 17-Apr-2009, at 14:12, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>
>>> From: Andre-John Mas [mailto:ajmas@sympatico.ca]
>>> Subject: Building Tomcat 5.5.27 & tomcat-native
>>>
>>> I am trying to build 5.5.27, but it is asking for tomcat-native
>>> 1.1.12, though I see that only 1.1.16 is available. This being the
>>> case, a couple of questions:
>>>  - is this a suitable replacement?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>>  - where do I specify to use this version instead?
>>
>> apache-tomcat-5.5.26-src/build/build.properties.default
>>
>> - Chuck
>
> I have now sorted the tomcat-native issue, but running into another
> issue, of methods that should be over-ridden, but aren't (see a
> sample at the end of this e-mail).
>
> I am using JDK 1.6 as my VM, should I be using JDK 1.4 or JDK 1.5
> for my builds?

Building with JDK1.5 resolves the issue - thanks

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Andre-John Mas wrote:

> On 19-Apr-2009, at 16:45, Mark Thomas wrote:
>
>> Andre-John Mas wrote:
>>> the only thing which seems odd is the generated tar balls are marked as
>>> 5.5.26. Is this normal?
>>
>> No :). That is a bug.
>
> I suppose it is the wrong time to open a ticket for this, but for 5.5.28
> would it be worth opening a ticket to make sure that 5.5.28 doesn't
> generate tarballs marked '5.5.27'?

Already dealt with in r766513 [1].

Mark

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/build/tc5.5.x/build.properties.default?view=log

Re: Building Tomcat 5.5.27 & tomcat-native

Posted by Andre-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Andre-John Mas wrote:
> the only thing which seems odd is the generated tar balls are marked as
> 5.5.26. Is this normal?

No :). That is a bug.

Mark

Re: Building Tomcat 5.5.27 & tomcat-native

Posted by Andre-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca>.
On 17-Apr-2009, at 15:34, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: Andre-John Mas [mailto:ajmas@sympatico.ca]
>> Subject: Re: Building Tomcat 5.5.27 & tomcat-native
>>
>> should I be using JDK 1.4 or JDK 1.5 for my builds?
>
> Use 1.5.
>
> Sun "enhanced" the SQL interfaces in 1.6 in a way that made them
> incompatible with implementations based on older versions.  The only
> workaround at the moment is to build Tomcat with 1.5; you may run
> the resulting classes on 1.6.

That works. Now everything builds when I use the build.xml in the
build directory, using:

ant release

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Andre-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca>.
On 17-Apr-2009, at 14:12, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: Andre-John Mas [mailto:ajmas@sympatico.ca]
>> Subject: Building Tomcat 5.5.27 & tomcat-native
>>
>> I am trying to build 5.5.27, but it is asking for tomcat-native
>> 1.1.12, though I see that only 1.1.16 is available. This being the
>> case, a couple of questions:
>>   - is this a suitable replacement?
>
> Yes.
>
>>   - where do I specify to use this version instead?
>
> apache-tomcat-5.5.26-src/build/build.properties.default
>
> - Chuck

I have now sorted the tomcat-native issue, but running into another
issue, of methods that should be over-ridden, but aren't (see a sample
at the end of this e-mail).

I am using JDK 1.6 as my VM, should I be using JDK 1.4 or JDK 1.5 for
my builds?

André-John

    [javac] /home/ajmas/share/java/tomcat-deps/src/java/org/apache/
tomcat/dbcp/dbcp/BasicDataSource.java:44:
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource is not abstract and does
not override abstract method isWrapperFor(java.lang.Class) in
java.sql.Wrapper
     [javac] public class BasicDataSource implements DataSource {
     [javac]        ^
     [javac] /home/ajmas/share/java/tomcat-deps/src/java/org/apache/
tomcat/dbcp/dbcp/DelegatingStatement.java:46:
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DelegatingStatement is not abstract and
does not override abstract method isPoolable() in java.sql.Statement
     [javac] public class DelegatingStatement extends AbandonedTrace
implements Statement {
     [javac]        ^
     [javac] /home/ajmas/share/java/tomcat-deps/src/java/org/apache/
tomcat/dbcp/dbcp/DelegatingStatement.java:131: isClosed() in
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DelegatingStatement cannot implement
isClosed() in java.sql.Statement; attempting to assign weaker access
privileges; was public
     [javac]     protected boolean isClosed() {
     [javac]                       ^
     [javac] /home/ajmas/share/java/tomcat-deps/src/java/org/apache/
tomcat/dbcp/dbcp/DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:50:
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement is not
abstract and does not override abstract method
setNClob(int,java.io.Reader) in java.sql.PreparedStatement
     [javac] public class DelegatingPreparedStatement extends
DelegatingStatement
     [javac]        ^

Re: Building Tomcat 5.5.27 & tomcat-native

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Andre-John Mas [mailto:ajmas@sympatico.ca]
>> Subject: Building Tomcat 5.5.27 & tomcat-native
>>
>> I am trying to build 5.5.27, but it is asking for tomcat-native
>> 1.1.12, though I see that only 1.1.16 is available. This being the
>> case, a couple of questions:
>>    - is this a suitable replacement?
>
> Yes.
>
>>    - where do I specify to use this version instead?
>
> apache-tomcat-5.5.26-src/build/build.properties.default

That will work but the 'correct' way to do this is to create a
build.properties file and use that to override the defaults.

Mark

RE: Building Tomcat 5.5.27 & tomcat-native

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.