Posted to dev@falcon.apache.org by Ajay Yadava <aj...@apache.org> on 2016/01/20 19:51:30 UTC

[DISCUSS] Removing CHANGES.txt

Currently we are maintaining CHANGES.txt to record contributions,
 committers of the commits and the release in which they got committed. All
this information is also available in JIRA and git.

However, there are certain disadvantages of CHANGES.txt, every time during
release we have to maintain different CHANGES.txt in master and branch. We
have to be careful with subtle details like "Proposed release version" and
"Released version" etc. This also creates confusion when same commit gets
committed into master and the branch.

Also, it entails committers to do some edits to the patch submitted by the
contributor. This is error prone and can be tedious sometimes. Sometimes we
forget to attribute contribution or spell contributor's name incorrectly.

Hence I propose to delete CHANGES.txt from master (0.10 onward). Please
provide your inputs. If everyone agrees, then I will create a JIRA and
delete CHANGES.txt from master.

Cheers
Ajay Yadava

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing CHANGES.txt

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@gmail.com>.
Ok, the title of this thread is slightly ambiguous. I clarified it before
but once again, just to bring everyone on same page, no one is recommending
to stop keeping changelog. I think everyone is suggesting that we should
not be maintaining CHANGES.txt manually.

I haven't yet done anything on this, so if anyone has bandwidth then please
feel free to pick it up. I liked Suresh's suggestion of generating
CHANGES.txt hadoop style, so we should be able to borrow heavily from
hadoop's tools/scripts.

Posted by Pallavi Rao <pa...@inmobi.com>.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Praveen Adlakha <pr...@inmobi.com>
wrote:

> +1 we should remove CHANGES.txt.
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 3:01 PM, Deepak Kumar Barr (Tech_BLR) <
> deepak.barr@flipkart.com> wrote:
>
> > I agree. +1
> >
> > Regards,
> > Deepak Kumar Barr
> > Bigfoot-Apps
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Sandeep Samudrala <sa...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Now by moving to Github Pull request model in Apache Falcon, it
> creates a
> > > lot of pain as to each pull request merged would create a conflict in
> > > changes.txt for rest of the pull requests.
> > > Now considering this issue, the option of having the CHANGES.txt might
> [...]

receipt.

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing CHANGES.txt

Posted by Praveen Adlakha <pr...@inmobi.com>.
> [...]

> > > I agree with you Venkat, mentioning in commit message is better than
> > > mentioning in CHANGES.txt. Actually, in Apache Falcon we do both, hence
> > > this is even more redundant for this use case. Although in my opinion
> > even
> > > mentioning contributor in commit message is weak form of attribution
> > > compared to making the contributor the author of the commit.
> Attribution
> > > use case will be perfectly solved with the github pull request model.
> > >
> > > It will also solve my biggest complaint about maintaining change log in
> > > CHANGES.txt like this. The responsibility of maintaining the
> CHANGES.txt
> > > will be shifted on multiple contributors rather than lesser number of
> > > committers and active committers will not feel the pain.
> > >
> > > I have already created a JIRA to track this shift and work is already

receipt.

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing CHANGES.txt

Posted by "Deepak Kumar Barr (Tech_BLR)" <de...@flipkart.com>.
I agree. +1

Posted by Sandeep Samudrala <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Seetharam Venkatesh <ve...@innerzeal.com>.

Posted by Srikanth Sundarrajan <sr...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by pavan kumar Kolamuri <pa...@gmail.com>.

--
Regards
Pavan Kumar Kolamuri

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing CHANGES.txt

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@inmobi.com>.
Venkatesh,

> [...]

> > The information contained in this communication is intended solely for
> the
> > use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others
> > authorized to receive it. It may contain confidential or legally
> privileged
> > information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
> notified
> > that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in
> reliance
> > on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be
> > unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify
> > us immediately by responding to this email and then delete it from your
> > system. The firm is neither liable for the proper and complete
> transmission
> > of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in

receipt.

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing CHANGES.txt

Posted by Seetharam Venkatesh <ve...@innerzeal.com>.

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@inmobi.com>.
Just to clarify I am not suggesting to not provide change log to users. I
am just suggesting to get rid of the practice of manually maintaining
CHANGES.txt file in the code.

For example we can generate change log from JIRA(it provides release notes
for a particular release) and put it on website along with release notes.
We can also consider the Hadoop method if it doesn't involve extra manual
work for committers along with each commit.

Cheers
Ajay Yadava

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:58 AM, Ajay Yadav <aj...@inmobi.com> wrote:

> As I said Idea is to delete CHANGES.txt as the same information can be
> extracted from JIRA. We can provide change log information using JIRA.
>
> Maintaining CHANGES.txt file is a huge pain for the people who have to
> commit patches. It is also very error prone way of maintaining change log.
> We have a 6 weekly release cycle so that means that we are almost always
> running in two branches and it becomes very painful to maintain the change
> log in this fashion.
>

> Cheers
> Ajay Yadava
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:38 AM, Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hadoop has a script to generate CHANGES.txt. That might be an option.
>>
>> Agree with Venkatesh. This is an important information and should not be
>> deleted.
>>
>> On 1/20/16, 10:55 AM, "Seetharam Venkatesh" <ve...@innerzeal.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I think this is quite useful and AFAICT, the release timelines are
>> >quarterly, it might be worth the extra effort to maintain this.
>> >
>> >-1 from me.

receipt.

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing CHANGES.txt

Posted by Ajay Yadav <aj...@inmobi.com>.

wrote:

> Hadoop has a script to generate CHANGES.txt. That might be an option.
>
> Agree with Venkatesh. This is an important information and should not be
> deleted.
>
> On 1/20/16, 10:55 AM, "Seetharam Venkatesh" <ve...@innerzeal.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I think this is quite useful and AFAICT, the release timelines are
> >quarterly, it might be worth the extra effort to maintain this.
> >
> >-1 from me.
> >
> >On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 10:52 AM Ajay Yadava <aj...@apache.org>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Currently we are maintaining CHANGES.txt to record contributions,
> >>  committers of the commits and the release in which they got committed.
> >>All
> >> this information is also available in JIRA and git.
> >>
> >> However, there are certain disadvantages of CHANGES.txt, every time
> >>during
> >> release we have to maintain different CHANGES.txt in master and branch.
> >>We
> >> have to be careful with subtle details like "Proposed release version"
> >>and
> >> "Released version" etc. This also creates confusion when same commit
> >>gets
> >> committed into master and the branch.
> >>
> >> Also, it entails committers to do some edits to the patch submitted by
> >>the
> >> contributor. This is error prone and can be tedious sometimes.
> >>Sometimes we
> >> forget to attribute contribution or spell contributor's name
> >>incorrectly.
> >>
> >> Hence I propose to delete CHANGES.txt from master (0.10 onward). Please
> >> provide your inputs. If everyone agrees, then I will create a JIRA and
> >> delete CHANGES.txt from master.
> >>

> >> Cheers
> >> Ajay Yadava

receipt.