Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Will Holcomb <wi...@dhappy.org> on 2010/03/05 17:31:42 UTC

summer of code

Hi, I'm a student with a project idea that I think might be a good
addition to Cocoon and I have a couple of questions.

#1. Does Cocoon have to apply to SoC on it's own, or will it be inducted
as a part of Apache?

I ask because the mentorship applications are only open March 8-12. My
web researchings suggest nothing has to be done right now by anyone in
this project, but I'm only about 90% sure.

#2. When is a production release expected for Cocoon 3?

I'm hoping for my SoC project to power my Burning Man art. I've done
tests with both versions 2 and 3, and I'm leaning toward 3, but I don't
want my art to crash. ☺

-Will

Re: summer of code

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.
Will Holcomb wrote:
> Hi, I'm a student with a project idea that I think might be a good
> addition to Cocoon and I have a couple of questions.
>
> #1. Does Cocoon have to apply to SoC on it's own, or will it be inducted
> as a part of Apache?

It's the Apache Software Foundation.

> I ask because the mentorship applications are only open March 8-12. My
> web researchings suggest nothing has to be done right now by anyone in
> this project, but I'm only about 90% sure.

Do you have any suggestions for a project? Unfortunately I won't have
time to get involved myself this year.

> #2. When is a production release expected for Cocoon 3?

I will work on another release some time later this month or in April.
It will take some time until we get a production release out of the door.

> I'm hoping for my SoC project to power my Burning Man art. I've done
> tests with both versions 2 and 3, and I'm leaning toward 3, but I don't
> want my art to crash. ☺

Some Cocoon 3 APIs might change (e.g. we have to find some way to make
the output type of a pipeline more flexible), but the implementation is
rather stable IMO. I also expect that your chances of finding a mentor
are best with Cocoon 3. As mentioned above, write down your ideas of a
Cocoon 3 GSoC project and share them with this community. Then let's
find a mentor for your project.