Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by mehdi soleimani <ms...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/09 11:00:04 UTC

Unattached letters in Persian Words on Mac OSX

Hi,

I am using openoffice 3.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.8.2 . When I type in Persian/Farsi the letters are not attached to each other as they are supposed to be. I had same problem with Microsoft Office Word 2011 and there was a "ligatures" option which did the trick for me. Any idea on a workaround? Is it a bug?

Bests,

Re: Unattached letters in Persian Words on Mac OSX

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 04:48:02 -0000, Urmas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Obviously Tahoma, Arial and Times New Roman do connect letters properly
> with normal software.

that may apply to properly localised distributions rather than to the
general case. however, i've been just citing the community forum.

Re: Unattached letters in Persian Words on Mac OSX

Posted by Urmas <da...@gmail.com>.
"johnny smith":

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 11:42:53 -0000, mehdi soleimani nasab
<ms...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Johnny. Pair kerning only change the space
> between letters. My problem is that a word is depicted as "س‌ل‌ا‌م"
> when it should be "سلام".

user FruitLoopMT on the community forum advises as follows:

'First off, OpenOffice does correctly connect the letters. The problem is
the font oddly enough. The default font is Tahoma which does not connect
the letters. Arial does not connect them either, and neither does Times
New Roman. Many other fonts will connect the letters though. I switched to
Apple Chancery because of the slightly extra padding around the words.
(Easier to read for a newb like myself.) Verdana is a font that I've seen
often enough which also connects the letters.

Simple answer is change your font. But that's not good enough for me. I
have to write reports in Farsi for school all the time and it is a hassle
to constantly change my font any time I change my language. Go here:
OpenOffice.org -> Preferences -> OpenOffice.org Writer -> Basic Fonts CTL.
The default is having all of the fonts Tahoma, which does not connect.
Change all of the values to a font of your choosing which does connect the
Farsi/Arabic letters correctly and voila! Any time you change languages
while typing it will now use your newly set default font and it saves me a
step from changing it every time I start a new document.'

so, it seems that you need a proper set of multilingual fonts. other posts
 from that forum topic may be found here:
<http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20688>.

Re: Unattached letters in Persian Words on Mac OSX

Posted by mehdi soleimani nasab <ms...@gmail.com>.

On 6/9/13, johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su> wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 09:00:04 -0000, mehdi soleimani
> <ms...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am using openoffice 3.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.8.2 . When I type in
>> Persian/Farsi the letters are not attached to each other as they are
>> supposed to be. I had same problem with Microsoft Office Word 2011 and
>> there was a "ligatures" option which did the trick for me. Any idea on a
>>
>> workaround? Is it a bug?
>
> my only suggestion is to enable pair kerning under the 'position' tab of a
>
> character or paragraph style.

Mahdi Soleimani

Re: Unattached letters in Persian Words on Mac OSX

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.