Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tor-Einar Jarnbjo <To...@Jarnbjo.de> on 2006/01/23 22:18:16 UTC

ntwin32.mak dependency

Hi,

when building Harmony on Windows, the makefile in
native-src\win.IA32\makefile includes ntwin32.mak. Could it be that this
"utility" file is only included with the commercial versions of Visual
C++/Studio? If so, and if this is the only dependency on the commercial
version, would it be easily feasible for someone to replace the file
with someone else, making it possible to compile Harmony with the freely
available MS C++ compiler and nmake? Or is it just something here, that
I haven't understood?

Tor

Re: ntwin32.mak dependency

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
When I was trying to use the free tool chain, I had to go find a
replacement for ml, since it wasn't available anymore from MSFT (that I
could find).

I think one good thing here is to try the GCC toolchain and see how far
we get...  then it's "free as in beer" as well as "free as in not having
rights to your innovations" ;)

geir

Re: ntwin32.mak dependency

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,  Tor

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab

Re: ntwin32.mak dependency

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr schrieb:
>
>> Please, feel free to take a whack at it.  Just don't break us that are
>> using the non-free toolchain.
>
> I was just curious if I was doing something wrong and generally the
> opinion, that it would make sense to not require a rather expensive
> compiler suite to build the Harmony VM.

We had this discussion a while ago - yes, we want to be able to support
the free toolchains.  However, the stuff we have was developed by people
using the non-free toolchains.

No one is stopping it - someone needs to volunteer.

I am not sure however if I can
> be of much help fixing the issue. I haven't been writing much C for
> several years and honestly have no clue what is necessary to tweek the
> source to be buildable by other compilers.

Well, I've never done a JVM and runtime library before, but here I am.
Jump in.

geir

Re: ntwin32.mak dependency

Posted by Tor-Einar Jarnbjo <To...@Jarnbjo.de>.
Geir Magnusson Jr schrieb:

> Please, feel free to take a whack at it.  Just don't break us that are
> using the non-free toolchain.

I was just curious if I was doing something wrong and generally the
opinion, that it would make sense to not require a rather expensive
compiler suite to build the Harmony VM. I am not sure however if I can

Re: ntwin32.mak dependency

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
That could very well be the case.  I had trouble building as well with
the free tool chain from MSFT - I now use the non-free one.

Please, feel free to take a whack at it.  Just don't break us that are
using the non-free toolchain.

The more we can support the better...

geir