Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Theo Schlossnagle <je...@lethargy.org> on 2014/04/11 17:51:22 UTC

Proposal to remove 32bit support.

Given the nature of ATS and its focus exclusively on high performance environments, I suggest we throw off the bonds of 32bit support going forward.  I’m unaware of anyone running ATS on 32bit systems or developing ATS on 32bit systems.

I propose removing 32bit support in Apache Traffic Server in the 5 release and forward.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
http://lethargy.org/~jesus/

Re: Proposal to remove 32bit support.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On Apr 14, 2014, at 9:33 AM, Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org> wrote:

> [...]

For how long? Indefinitely ? Phil, you ok with that ?

— Leif

Re: Proposal to remove 32bit support.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> >> well, does that affect the ARM platform?
> >
> > ARMv6 (Raspberry Pi) and ARMv7 is 32-bit, but ARMv8 is 64-bit.  If
> > someone is running ATS on ARMv6 or ARMv7...they can always stay on an
> > old release.  -- justin
>

> Exactly. The RM for v4.2.x even offered extending LTS for this release if
> there’s real demand for it.
>
> +1 on abandoning 32-bit support (R.I.P.)

+1 under the condition that 4.2.x stays supported for older platforms.

-- i
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org
GPG: 8716 7A9F 989B ABD5 100F  4008 F266 55D6 2998 1641

Re: Proposal to remove 32bit support.

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Yongming Zhao <mi...@gmail.com>.
well, does that affect the ARM platform?

- Yongming Zhao 赵永明

在 2014年4月11日,下午11:51,Theo Schlossnagle <je...@lethargy.org> 写道:

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
given that RHEL7-Beta1 has no 32bit at all and i
did not setup any non-x86_64 machine the past 6
years: +1

Posted by Brian Geffon <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Boreham <da...@boreham.org>.
On 4/11/2014 9:51 AM, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
> Given the nature of ATS and its focus exclusively on high performance environments, I suggest we throw off the bonds of 32bit support going forward.  I’m unaware of anyone running ATS on 32bit systems or developing ATS on 32bit systems.

Rasberry Pi ?

Re: Proposal to remove 32bit support.

Posted by Brian Geffon <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> > Given the nature of ATS and its focus exclusively on high performance
> > environments, I suggest we throw off the bonds of 32bit support going
> > forward.  I’m unaware of anyone running ATS on 32bit systems or developing
> > ATS on 32bit systems.
> >
> > I propose removing 32bit support in Apache Traffic Server in the 5 release
> > and forward.
>
> Specifically, what would we remove? Should we also review the set of
> supported OS versions?

This makes me wonder: If we remove 32bit support, will any distro out there
go out of their way to patch it back in, badly?

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.
+1 - I don't know of anyone running ATS on 32-bit and I would highly recommend not running it on 32-bit.

-Bryan

Posted by Yongming Zhao <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Alan M. Carroll" <am...@network-geographics.com>.