Posted to user@hama.apache.org by Konrad Hinsen <ko...@fastmail.net> on 2010/02/08 11:27:55 UTC

Getting started with BSP

Hello everyone,

I downloaded Hama because I am interested in trying out its BSP implementation. I have Hama running (the example from the "Quick Start" page works), but I am now facing a lack of documentation. Does anyone have a working example of a BSP application, plus instructions of how to run it?

Thanks in advance,
  Konrad.

Fwd: Getting started with BSP

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
We need to implement more BSP examples.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
If you need any help or have any suggestion, Pls let us know. Please
feel free to contribute.

Thanks.

edwardyoon@apache.org
http://blog.udanax.org

Re: Getting started with BSP

Posted by Konrad Hinsen <ko...@fastmail.net>.
On 9 Feb 2010, at 08:41, Edward J. Yoon wrote:

> You can replace localhost to the host's name or IP address.
>
>      conf.set(BSPConstants.PEER_HOST, "localhost");
>      conf.set(BSPConstants.PEER_PORT, String
>          .valueOf(30000 + randomSequence[i]));
>
> In that example, randomSequence() was just used to avoid the port
> conflicts.

OK, I will try that!

Thanks,
   Konrad.

Re: Getting started with BSP

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

edwardyoon@apache.org
http://blog.udanax.org

Re: Getting started with BSP

Posted by Konrad Hinsen <ko...@fastmail.net>.

Re: Getting started with BSP

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
> I looked at the two examples and conclude that the pattern for running a BSP job is creating a subclass of HamaCluster that initializes various stuff and then starts a number of BSP threads that do the actual work. Is that about right? It would seem to imply that a BSP job can only use one compute node, because each process is just a Java thread. On the other hand, it hardly makes sense to use Hadoop for just one node, so I wonder what I am missing here.

Nope, it can be run on multi-node cluster. The BSP job handles a list
of peer servers, each peer server is run in each node. and threads
will be handled by peer server.

In other words, a BSP job is a multi-core multi-thread program on
distributed system.

edwardyoon@apache.org
http://blog.udanax.org

Re: Getting started with BSP

Posted by Konrad Hinsen <ko...@fastmail.net>.

Re: Getting started with BSP

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I would recommend you to read below test codes.

svn_trunk/src/test/org/apache/hama/bsp/BSPPeerTest and SerializePrinting.

Thanks.

edwardyoon@apache.org
http://blog.udanax.org