Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by beyaRecords <uz...@beyarecords.com> on 2005/01/12 19:12:57 UTC

Infantile Download page question...

Hi,
i'm trying to create cocoon page which when accessed would enable me to
download, without the need for a prompt by the browser, specified files
within an jxt file. How would I fo about doing this??

regards

Uzo

Re: AW: AW: Infantile Download page question...

Posted by beyaRecords <uz...@beyarecords.com>.
On 15 Jan 2005, at 12:16, Alexander Zirl wrote:

> So how did you accomplish the task in the end. Via the zip method?

Hi Alexander,
yes I used the Zip method which was very easy to implement.

I call a jx file from my flowscript which wraps up all the tracks
associated with an Order.

<zip:archive
xmlns:zip="http://apache.org/cocoon/zip-archive/1.0"
xmlns:jx="http://apache.org/cocoon/templates/jx/1.0"

	<zip:entry name="legalnote.txt" src="legalnote.txt"/>
   	<jx:forEach var="orderitem" items="${order.getOrderItems()}">
   		<zip:entry name="${orderitem.getStock().getItemFinal()}.mp3"
src="${orderitem.getStock().getItemFinal()}.mp3"/>
   	</jx:forEach>

</zip:archive>

Very nice ;-)

AW: AW: Infantile Download page question...

Posted by Alexander Zirl <al...@web.de>.
So how did you accomplish the task in the end. Via the zip method?

  _____

Posted by beyaRecords <uz...@beyarecords.com>.

Posted by beyaRecords <uz...@beyarecords.com>.
Any ideas anybody?

Posted by jiBeya <in...@jibeya.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Benedikt Heinen <be...@icemark.net>.

Posted by Benedikt Heinen <co...@ml.icemark.net>.
> The frames option would be a nightmare only for the fact that a user could
> purchase 15 tracks for which I would then need to have 15 frames!!??

As I pointed out myself, it would be ugly as hell, but it might just
work...   (In terms of looks - would small iframes look better?  Probably
still ugly, but maybe a slight improvement)

> Do any of you guys know how apple deliver music to customers via their iTunes
> store? Is it packaged into a zip folder or are the tracks downloaded
> individually?

Don't know abot iTunes - never used it. But a couple of years ago, emusic
used their own created download manager - a similar thing is done by
allofmp3.com. On both sites you could either download individual tracks,
or use their own download managers to automate the tasks.

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.
> > Do any of you guys know how apple deliver music to
> customers via their
> > iTunes store? Is it packaged into a zip folder or are the tracks
> > downloaded individually?
>
> They don't do it with a web browser, they use iTunes. As long
> as you control the user agent, you can do anything you like.

iTunes music store looks like it's a browser interface - but it's not. Dave
Hyatt wrote about this
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/archives/2004_06.html

Or here: http://www.franklinmint.fm/blog/archives/000157.html

Matthew

Re: AW: Infantile Download page question...

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 13/gen/05, alle 00:01, beyaRecords ha scritto:

> Do any of you guys know how apple deliver music to customers via their
> iTunes store? Is it packaged into a zip folder or are the tracks
> downloaded individually?

They don't do it with a web browser, they use iTunes. As long as you
control the user agent, you can do anything you like.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/blojsom/blog/

RE: AW: Infantile Download page question...

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.

> From: beyaRecords [mailto:uzo@beyarecords.com]
>
> I did actually think about packaging the music files into a zip folder,
> which I know would be easy to do in cocoon, but thought that the actual
> size of the files (maybe 5 meg + each) would be a problem in terms of
> the time taken zipping them up and then downloading the zip bundle.
>
> The frames option would be a nightmare only for the fact that a user
> could purchase 15 tracks for which I would then need to have 15
> frames!!??

How about using some client-side Javascript?
-ml-

Re: AW: Infantile Download page question...

Posted by beyaRecords <uz...@beyarecords.com>.
On 12 Jan 2005, at 22:38, Benedikt Heinen wrote:

>> Instead, why not
>> package the mp3's in a zip container, and transfer that one?
>> Alternatively,
>> you could simply generate a download page listing the file locations.
>> However, the zip method seems to be a smarter idea.

Ok,

Posted by Benedikt Heinen <co...@ml.icemark.net>.

Posted by Alexander Zirl <al...@web.de>.
Hi Uzo,

I doubt that this would ever be possible to do in a pure HTTP environment,
because you won't be able to send all the files at once. Instead, why not
package the mp3's in a zip container, and transfer that one? Alternatively,
you could simply generate a download page listing the file locations.
However, the zip method seems to be a smarter idea.

Cheers,
Alexander Zirl

Posted by beyaRecords <uz...@beyarecords.com>.
Ok,

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.
> From: beyaRecords [mailto:uzo@beyarecords.com]
>
> Hi,
> i'm trying to create cocoon page which when accessed would enable me to
> download, without the need for a prompt by the browser,

OK...

> specified files
> within an jxt file.

What do you mean by that?