Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Stuart MacPherson <ap...@dsl.pipex.com> on 2003/07/29 01:05:59 UTC

HOWTO: Tomcat 4.1.24 and Slide 1.0.16 GET IT WORKING!!

Slight mods to my list...  I have rescinded on point 8...  slide.properties
is the way to go I feel..

1)       Standard install Tomcat 4.1.24 (latest of the 4's; I have tried it
with v5.0.5 and the way I know doesn't work, I presume there have been some
critical modifications)

2)       Copy slide.war, slide-admin.war and slide-doc.war to
CATALINA_HOME/webapps/

3)       Start Tomcat using services > start (sorry, I am windows at the mo)
- this is important, as for some reason it is the only way I could get slide
to Tomcat to start the logger before it falls over on problematic startup.
At least then you can see the error messages in CATALINA_HOME/logs/

4)       Stop Tomcat.

5)       Delete all your log files.

6)       DO NOT copy any JAR files from your slide download!  The reason you
are having trouble is PURELY because of duplicated JAR files, and following
the instructions to do so (e.g. in Tomcat HOWTO on apache Jakarta site)
actually made my setup fail!

7)       Remove all the JARs from CATALINA_HOME/webapps/slide/lib and put
them in CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/ so that the admin webapp can share them.
If you don't do this then you will be able to run slide but not slide-admin,
and you will get the SlideToken problem.  Leave ALL the JARs in Slide-admin
webapp exactly where they are!

8)       Inside CATALINA_HOME/common/classes/ create the following directory
structure >>>   org/apache/slide  and then inside that, create a file called
slide.properties and insert the following into it (replacing your precise
path details, and remembering to switch your slashes around); you do not
need quotes, even for paths with spaces (bizarrely enough):

org.apache.slide.domain=G:/Program Files/Apache Group/Tomcat
4.1/webapps/slide/domain.xml

[This is all one path, ignore the fact that has wrapped around to 2
lines...]

NB - If the system insists that it cannot locate the Domain.xml file on
startup, but you have checked the slide.properties file, and it is ok...
delete this file and re-create it.  I don't know why, but this worked once
for me!

9)        Start Tomcat and observe the startup window for weirdness (there
should be none)

10)       Check the logs to confirm, but I reckon it should all be sweet ;o)

You may now mess with CATALINA_HOME/webapps/slide/WEB-INF/web.xml (e.g.
uncomment the security-constraint bit to get authentication) and
CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml (e.g. to change the authentication type).

Please feel free to edit the list and publish it.

RE: HOWTO: Tomcat 4.1.24 and Slide 1.0.16 GET IT WORKING!!

Posted by Stuart MacPherson <ap...@dsl.pipex.com>.
You need to set it up!
It depends which authentication realm you are using...  by default it is
Tomcat, so... in tomcat-user.xml, you will have to set up the role 'root',
and then a user that takes on the role 'root' (user and pass are whatever
you put in).  If you don't know how to do this, then look at the other roles
and users.

If you are using SlideRealm, then you need to add the user to slide-admin
web.xml BUT if you are using JDBCRealm you need to specifically add the user
to the database in 'user' table, but don't forget to create the 'root' role
in 'roles' table, and then assign the user the root role in the link entity
table 'user_roles'...

Sound ok to you?
Regards
Stu