Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by nillehammer <ta...@winfonet.eu> on 2011/07/28 13:39:39 UTC

Re: Tapestry Forum

Paul Stanton-2 wrote:

> Personally I think forums are a more usable medium that mailing lists
> for a number of reasons. eg:
> * It is easier for new users to ask their first question
> * You can 'decorate' your messages (code blocks, quotes etc) making them
> more legible.
> * Posts are better categorised
> * You can ignore traffic until you are ready to read it
>
> I think many new tapestry users are uncomfortable with joining a mailing
> list and therefore don't get the help they need to get up and running.
>
> You don't have to agree...
>
> Paul.

Paul, I'm afraid I don't agree. You're right mentioning the lack of comfort
when using the mailing list purely just with an email client. But in my
opinion nabble makes using this list as easy as a web forum. I myself use it
to read and post messages. I only check my mail account from time to time to
*delete* the mails.

So I think we have everything that is needed already. But on the other hand,
the internet is free you always gotta try new things. I wish you the best.
Let's see what comes out.

Cheers nillehammer

-----
http://www.winfonet.eu

Re: Tapestry Forum

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:45:33 -0300, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> We've got forums, we've got StackOverflow, we've got IRC, we've got
> who-knows-what.

By the way, what about downvoting the outdated Tapestry rant at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1303438/why-did-you-stop-using-tapestry?
It evens calls Howard a liar.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor

Re: Tapestry Forum

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
We've got forums, we've got StackOverflow, we've got IRC, we've got
who-knows-what.

The Apache way is based on email because email is distributed and
forever; any site or forum is limited to the lifespan of that site and
that forum and disruptions do happen.  To be honest, if I had my way,
we would do support on StackOverflow because that's the best damn
support forum I've seen, and it only gets better as it is more heavily
used ... but I digress.  We're Apache, we use email.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 6:08 AM, George Christman
<gc...@cardaddy.com> wrote:
> I agree with Nillehammer, but I do think at first the mailing list seems a
> bit cumbersome to signup with, especially if your trying to access it
> through nabble from day 1, but once your up and running I feel things are
> very simple to use with great help. I also like how simple nabble is to
> search archived records. My first thought when checking out your forum was
> bright and that might be effecting the user feel. It's only one my opinion,
> so what ever you feel it's worth. Good luck, hopefully it works out for you.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com