Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> on 2009/03/24 15:33:25 UTC

Mods to build structure

I'm going to tackle moving the build structure to be Maven compliant now -
proper directory trees, etc.  I need to do some testing today that is
important to my project at work and I can't really do that until the ki
codebase is in a coherent state.  Please let me know now if you have any
objections to this (I don't think there would be any - we've discussed this
in the past and there hasn't been any activity in SVN for a while now).

Thanks,

Les

Re: Mods to build structure

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <al...@gmail.com>.
Just a reminder, you cannot deploy snapshots until we get our name
straightened out.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Mods to build structure

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
I've been thinking about that.  I've responded to the poster about our name
'Ki', and have not received any feedback.  I think it is perfectly fine to
retain the name 'Ki'.  In any event, just calling it 'Apache Ki' as the
official name should be very clear that we're not involved in Stocks-related
software...

And yes, I know I can't deploy snapshots yet - I was just preparing so when
we are allowed to, we can just 'flip the switch' so to speak.

Cheers,

Les

Re: Mods to build structure

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mods to build structure

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: Mods to build structure

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hey Les,

Re: Mods to build structure

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: Mods to build structure

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
>>> Where did the Ant build files go?  Where are the IntelliJ files?
>>

>> (I know nothing but) I thought the idea was to move to Maven. IDE
>> project
>> files for IntelliJ, Eclipse etc. can be generated via Maven. You can use
>> "mvn idea:idea" to generate the project files for IDEA (
>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-idea-plugin/), but I think the
>> newest
>> version has a pretty good support for Maven built-in.
>
> There was tremendous push back on getting rid of the IDEA files that
> were checked in and, so, we need to collect a community consensus
> before we remove them; don't get me wrong I want to get rid of them
> and I think, like you, that they are superfluous.
Also I forgot to mention that we have to update the web site to mention
that the IDE specific files have been removed, and how to create them
(probably in the 'source' part of the project). Don't get for granted
that users or developpers know that 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' will generate
all the .classpath and .project for the projet :)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Mods to build structure

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
Does loading the pom up also keep metadata related to Spring and
Hibernate facet configuration?  If not, it's not a substitute for
keeping the project files in SVN.

Re: Mods to build structure

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mods to build structure

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: Mods to build structure

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

>  Regarding the ant files, the best would have been to get a bit more formal
>> approval at some point (well, a vote), but again, I don't see that as an big
>> mistake to have done the switch from ant to maven as we already lengthly
>> discussed this matter last year.
>>

> Discussion, yes.  Consensus, no.
>
> Look, I would love to just keep my mouth shut, especially since things are
> going my way, but this is the Incubator and I think we're all overlooking
> that there are community issues that are being overlooked for the sake of
> expediency, i.e. code is being held as the priority over community.  This
> isn't the ASF way.

This is entirely my fault.  I remember talking to Jeremy and Tim and Peter a
month or two ago, and based on your comments, I now realize it must have
been off-list (phone?  I can't remember now).  They basically agreed that
the move to Maven would be ok since our project was not complicated and they
wouldn't have to worry about custom plugins or anything like that (which
might have been a deterrent to using Maven for them otherwise).

So, based on previous list discussion, plus these now-apparent external
discussions, I made the change with the knowledge that it would be OK by
everyone on the team.  I talk with some of these guys off-list quite
frequently (phone call, IM) as they are my friends, and mostly the
conversations aren't about software or ASF or these types of things.
Sometimes some JSecurity stuff slips in to the discussions though.  This one
time however it didn't occur to me that the Maven consensus was not on the
dev list.

I make a lot of efforts to tell people to put _everything_ on the list,
especially people new to the community or people contacting me for private
help because I *do* in all sincerity understand why it needs to be so.  This
one particular instance slipped passed me I guess since the conversation was
quite a while ago - I just forgot.

So, I apologize for the confusion, and I hopefully will remember where my
discussions are so I can ensure there is a record in an open forum to avoid
these things in the future.  This is the first such occurence that I know
of, so I think I've been doing well thus far.  Its just sometimes these
things blur when you talk with people off list regularly.

My apologies,

Les

Re: Mods to build structure

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <al...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 25, 2009, at 2:01 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

>>> (I know nothing but) I thought the idea was to move to Maven. IDE
>>> project
>>> files for IntelliJ, Eclipse etc. can be generated via Maven. You
>>> can use
>>> "mvn idea:idea" to generate the project files for IDEA (
>>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-idea-plugin/), but I think
>>> the newest
>>> version has a pretty good support for Maven built-in.
>>
>> There was tremendous push back on getting rid of the IDEA files
>> that were checked in and, so, we need to collect a community
>> consensus before we remove them; don't get me wrong I want to get
>> rid of them and I think, like you, that they are superfluous.
> Well, I won't be that cautious in this case. We all know that Maven
> can generate those files, so there is ne need to keep them around.

As I mentioned above we all understood that the IDEA files were
superfluous and yet other developers insisted that they be kept
around.  There's no difference between me just moving forward and
deleting them myself earlier this year and Les doing it now; if the
former were done there would have been a riot.  The point is that it
is a very well know point of contention and it should have been
resolved before any action is done.  One can't just blow past a
community problem just because *one* of the members changed his mind.

> Regarding the ant files, the best would have been to get a bit more
> formal approval at some point (well, a vote), but again, I don't see
> that as an big mistake to have done the switch from ant to maven as
> we already lengthly discussed this matter last year.

Discussion, yes.  Consensus, no.

Look, I would love to just keep my mouth shut, especially since things
are going my way, but this is the Incubator and I think we're all
overlooking that there are community issues that are being overlooked
for the sake of expediency, i.e. code is being held as the priority
over community.  This isn't the ASF way.

> Basically, my personal opinion is that, yes, it's a good practice to
> ask the list for such moves before doing so. That's help new comers
> to feel like they are part of the community. It gives them the
> feeling we are a community, not a bunch of developper deciding to
> change some code because you need it or think it's good for the
> project. I think that's the message Alan want to transmit here.
>
> If you don't have time (for instance because you need a quick
> version to be cut), then it's probably better to do it in a branch.
> Then when the community has catched up and agreed with your points,
> then the branch can be merged into the trunk.

The above comments are spot on for general development.  Thanks
Emmanuel.

> Anyway, the Maven move was a good move.

Agreed!

Regards,
Alan

Re: Mods to build structure

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
>>> Where did the Ant build files go?  Where are the IntelliJ files?
>>

>> (I know nothing but) I thought the idea was to move to Maven. IDE
>> project
>> files for IntelliJ, Eclipse etc. can be generated via Maven. You can use
>> "mvn idea:idea" to generate the project files for IDEA (
>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-idea-plugin/), but I think the
>> newest
>> version has a pretty good support for Maven built-in.
>
> There was tremendous push back on getting rid of the IDEA files that
> were checked in and, so, we need to collect a community consensus
> before we remove them; don't get me wrong I want to get rid of them
> and I think, like you, that they are superfluous.
Well, I won't be that cautious in this case. We all know that Maven can
generate those files, so there is ne need to keep them around. Regarding
[...]

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com