Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Michael Franz <MF...@FFTW.COM> on 2009/03/15 16:20:52 UTC

Re: XMPP: does it work for anybody?

semog wrote:

> So here is my Jabber settings from our Hudson build server:
>
> Jabber ID: hudson-dev
> Password: *********  (this doesn't really matter)
> Initial group chats: hudsontalk@conference.jmsserver
> Server: jmsserver
> Port: 61222
> Expose Presence: true
>
> ActiveMQ is running on the server 'jmsserver' and the XMPP protocol is
> listening on port 61222.  When the Jabber plug-in running on Hudson
> connects, it will join a group chat named 'hudsontalk'.  It knows that
> this is a group chat because of the suffix of '@conference'.  For the
> build job configuration, I tell the plugin to broadcast notifications to
> "hudsontalk@conference".  If I wanted to send to a particular person, I
> would use a destination such as "jgomes@jmsserver".  This would send a
> message directly to me if my IM client were connected to the jmsserver.
>
> I then configure Pidgin 2.4.3 account settings to connect with the
> following settings:
>
> In the Account dialog on the basic tab in the Login Options area, set the
> Protocol to be XMPP. Enter your username (jgomes for me), domain settings
> and whatever Password you want.  I left the User Options area blank.  On
> the Advanced tab, I have the following settings:
>
> XMPP Options -
> Require SSL/TLS: unchecked
> Force old (port 5223) SSL: unchecked
> Allow plantext auth over unencrypted streams: checked
> Connect port: 61222
> Connect server: jmsserver
> File transfer proxies: proxy.jabber.org:7777
> Proxy type: Use Global Proxy Settings
>
> With the client account settings created.  From the main window, I select
> Buddies -> Join a Chat.  Set the following values:
>
> Account: (Choose the account that was created above)
> Room: hudsontalk
> Server: jmsserver
> Handle: jgomes
> Password: (doesn't matter)
>
> Then click on Join button.  This sets up both ends of the communication
> with ActiveMQ operating as the instant messaging server.  I don't know if
> that will help or not, but maybe it will get you going with some ideas on
> how to approach using XMPP with ActiveMQ.
>
> Best,
> Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the detailed setup.  However, when I tried this with Pidgin 2.5.4
and ActiveMQ 5.2.0 on OS X the connect (enable) pidgon gives me the
following error: Server does not use any supported authentication method.

The ActiveMQ log has this:
INFO  XmppTransport                  - Caught trying to close transport:
javax.xml.stream.XMLStreamException
javax.xml.stream.XMLStreamException
	at com.bea.xml.stream.XMLWriterBase.flush(XMLWriterBase.java:459)
	at com.bea.xml.stream.XMLWriterBase.close(XMLWriterBase.java:453)
	at
org.apache.activemq.transport.xmpp.XmppTransport.doStop(XmppTransport.java:201)
	at org.apache.activemq.util.ServiceSupport.stop(ServiceSupport.java:69)
	at
org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.stop(TcpTransport.java:499)
	at
org.apache.activemq.transport.InactivityMonitor.stop(InactivityMonitor.java:113)
	at
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportFilter.stop(TransportFilter.java:64)
	at
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection.doStop(TransportConnection.java:960)
	at
org.apache.activemq.broker.jmx.ManagedTransportConnection.doStop(ManagedTransportConnection.java:74)
	at
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection$3.run(TransportConnection.java:925)

Michael

Re: XMPP: does it work for anybody?

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Hi,

one possible issue with XMPP support was missing WoodStox dependency in the
classpath. That is solved in the trunk. For more information on how to solve
it for current releases and a Jabber clients compability reference, please
take a look at updated wiki page

http://activemq.apache.org/xmpp.html

Cheers
--