Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org> on 2009/12/11 15:08:02 UTC

Re: SVM algo, code, etc.

On Fri Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Is SVM in scope for Mahout? (I am guessing so.)

Yes.

> 2) Who is nominally committing to shepherd the code into the code base
> and fix bugs and answer questions? (Jake?)
>
> I'm not really bothered about this particular patch, but the more
> general question.

I would guess that your question is not really restricted to Mahout but
the same question appears on other projects as well. Basically the
question is on "how to mentor developers to become new project members".

If you are interested in a broader discussion, it might make sense to
include the people over at the newly founded community development
project in the discussion?

Isabel

Re: SVM algo, code, etc.

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Fri Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure is there a mailing list or something for this? I'd like to be
> looped into talking about issues like this.

dev@community.apache.org

Isabel

Re: SVM algo, code, etc.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: SVM algo, code, etc.

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.

Re: SVM algo, code, etc.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org> wrote:
> I would guess that your question is not really restricted to Mahout but
> the same question appears on other projects as well. Basically the
> question is on "how to mentor developers to become new project members".

The first question is how to avoid orphaned patches. It's OK that some
stuff was orphaned from early days, but want to see we're set up to
avoid it going forward. Yes that could be solved by cultivating patch
submitters into committers and de facto owners of that subset of the
project.

More broadly the issue is making sure someone is at least kinda
watching over each bit of code in the project. So proposed idea either
receives support right away through to committing, or else isn't begun
at all. And so we have code of consistent quality and maintenance.

I argue that answering the second one actually improves the project's
ability to attract committers, in the first place.

> If you are interested in a broader discussion, it might make sense to
> include the people over at the newly founded community development
> project in the discussion?

What's this?