Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org> on 2022/07/06 21:40:45 UTC

Re: Need community feedback on expanding scope of Apache Ranger

Selva, thanks for starting the thread.

              3.  What additional data sources/services would you like to have Apache Ranger authorization?
It would be good if we can start supporting Cloud data sources as part of the community. We should also look into other services like OPA and either leverage that or extend that.

              4.  What new features/enhancements would you like to see in Apache Ranger?
Few things like simplified deployment of Ranger, access approval workflow and synchronizing policies to Cloud data sources will be nice to have. And we need revamp of web pages (

Thanks

Bosco

On 6/30/22, 1:14 PM, "Madhan Neethiraj" <ap...@hotmail.com> wrote:

    (added user@ranger.apache.org back in this thread)

    cdmikechen - thank you for your response.

    Selva - thank you for starting this thread. Responses from the community will help prioritize next set of enhancements in Apache Ranger. Looking forward to more responses from Apache Ranger community.

    I think enabling Apache Ranger authorization to services that don't support pluggable authorization will be of immense value. This is critical especially as enterprises use various cloud services where the service provider may not support a pluggable authorizer model. Such enhancements to authorization framework will help extend Apache Ranger authorization to services like Databricks SQL, Snowflake, Google BigQuery, AWS Redshift, MS-SQL, Postgres, and more.

    Thanks,
    Madhan

        On 6/17/22, 12:09 AM, "陈 翔" <cd...@hotmail.com> wrote:

            1.     My company has used ranger from 1.2.0 and updated to 2.3.0 recently.

            2.     At present, my company mainly use ranger with hive and atlas.

            3.     I personally hope to support Drill or Druid.

            4.     I  hope that the installation of ranger can be easier (for example, remove Python dependency when installing), and I also hope that other authentication methods such as oauth2/oidc can be supported. At the same time, my company runs the Ranger service in k8s. We have developed an k8s operator to simplify deployment and using. If possible in the future, I will put relevant projects to Github.

            5.     Not yet.

            Hopefully this will help the community~
            Thanks

            发件人: sneethir@apache.org <sn...@apache.org>
            日期: 星期五, 2022年6月17日 上午10:43
            收件人: dev@ranger.apache.org <de...@ranger.apache.org>, user@ranger.apache.org <us...@ranger.apache.org>, private@ranger.apache.org <pr...@ranger.apache.org>
            主题: Need community feedback on expanding scope of Apache Ranger
            As Apache Ranger has taken a critical role in Security & Governance of the big data/Hadoop technologies, I would like to see if the scope of Apache Ranger can be extended to cover other areas such as CLOUD data sources. To identify the industry needs, can you please provide some feedback on your current Apache Ranger use and your future needs:

              1.  Do you currently use Apache Ranger? If so, What Version?
              2.  Apache Ranger supports authorization for 20+ data sources/services. For which data sources/services do you use Apache Ranger authorization?
              3.  What additional data sources/services would you like to have Apache Ranger authorization?
              4.  What new features/enhancements would you like to see in Apache Ranger?
              5.  Have you developed Apache Ranger plugins for any data sources/services? If yes, please list them.

            As a community, we can review this (feedback) information to create more backlog tasks for us to scope the next major release.

            Thanks,
            Selva-

Re: Need community feedback on expanding scope of Apache Ranger

Posted by Balaji Ganesan <bg...@apache.org>.
Hi Selva, thank you for starting a thread.

I would agree with what has been mentioned by others. Apache Ranger was
intended to be the cross-system authorization platform and we can
definitely look to expand the scope of the project coverage

I was curious to know if we have the Ranger package available as a docker
container. If anyone has built that, would be great to get some pointers.

Regarding features, I would like to see if we can start adding coverage to
modern data platforms or tools such as Apache Iceberg, dbt, Trino,
Snowflake, Databricks and others.

Posted by Balaji Ganesan <bg...@apache.org>.