Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@neomeocorp.com> on 2001/02/13 17:27:53 UTC

Multiple AsyncAppenders -> multiple threads?

Hello,

Reading about AsyncAppender made me want to switch to it from FileAppender.
However, before I do that I'm wondering about the following:

Is the number of threads created by Log4J, when AsyncAppenders are being
used, proportional to the number of AsyncAppenders that one is using/has
defined?
In other words, if I create 20 different AsyncAppenders will that create 20
separate threads, one for each of them?

Thank you,

Otis

Re: Multiple AsyncAppenders -> multiple threads?

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.
Otis,

Yes. That is correct.

 N AsyncAppenders = N extra threads

However, you can attach multiple appenders to an AsyncAppender. Thus, you can one AsyncAppender that logs to 121 files. Does that make it any clearer? Ceki

At 11:27 13.02.2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Reading about AsyncAppender made me want to switch to it from FileAppender.
>However, before I do that I'm wondering about the following:
>
>Is the number of threads created by Log4J, when AsyncAppenders are being
>used, proportional to the number of AsyncAppenders that one is using/has
>defined?
>In other words, if I create 20 different AsyncAppenders will that create 20
>separate threads, one for each of them?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Otis

----
Ceki Gülcü           e-mail: cgu@qos.ch (preferred)
av. de Rumine 5              ceki_gulcu@yahoo.com
CH-1005 Lausanne
Switzerland            Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15