Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Satyanarayana M <sa...@infoglyptic.com> on 2002/10/03 08:18:31 UTC

Re: examples

Hi,

visit xmethods.com.....(you may be already knowing this)
you can findout more there....

..
Satya

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
I forgot to mention...

Other examples of Web services are infrastructure-level services such as
UDDI, a SAML-based single sign-on service, a SAML-based
entitlement/authorization service, a digital signature service (see OASIS
DSS), an encryption key management service (see W3C XKMS), a billing
service, a provisioning service, etc., etc.

Anne

Re: examples

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.
Anne Thomas Manes wrote:

> Amazon's Web API is not available to the general public. It's designed for
> B2B business relationships. It allows Amazon's affiliates to use Amazon's
> catalog to sell Amazon merchandise through their own Web sites.

I don't know if you meant that, but just to clarify for those unaware---
Amazon does distinguish between affiliates and others, but non-affiliates
can do a free registration which entitles them (I think) to 1 query per second,
where Google's is limited to 1000 a day... See
   http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1707
or go direct to
  http://associates.amazon.com/exec/panama/associates/ntg/browse/-/567634

It's quite simple to use, except that having to set a "mode" for each search
can be annoying: e.g. an "actor search request" for Bogart, like
> <SOAP-ENV:Body>
> <namesp1:ActorSearchRequest xmlns:namesp1='urn:PI/DevCentral/SoapService'>
> <ActorSearchRequest xsi:type='namesp1:ActorRequest'>
> <actor>Bogart</actor>
> <page>1</page>
> <mode>books</mode>
> <tag>webservices-20</tag>
> <type>lite</type>
> <devtag>...PUT YOUR DEVELOPER'S TAG HERE..</devtag>
> <format>xml</format>
> <version>1.0</version>
> </ActorSearchRequest>
> </namesp1:ActorSearchRequest>

will return a soap fault
> <faultstring xsi:type='xsd:string'>Bad Request</faultstring>
> <detail xsi:type='xsd:string'> There were no exact matches for the search ...
and doesn't even tell you that an ActorSearchRequest goes better with
mode="DVD" or mode="Video"...This gets really tiresome with doing BrowseNode
searches where they offer a table of modes for some of the common nodes,
but each node is just a number and there are lots of modes to guess.
Still, it's the same kind of registration setup as Google's.
Tom Myers

RE: examples

Posted by Michael Yuan <ju...@pancake.as.utexas.edu>.
Just a few more comments ...

> Google's Web API is free, supplied as an experiment and to promote goodwill.
> But the Web service actually undermines Google's business model (collecting
> revenues from advertising), since the API users don't see ads.

Hmm, but Google WS does require registration and does not allow you to
put up a commercial search service using it. If you want to use it
commercially, you have to work out a deal with them -- and pay them more
than the ads rate, I suppose. :)

> Amazon's Web API is not available to the general public. It's designed for
> B2B business relationships. It allows Amazon's affiliates to use Amazon's
> catalog to sell Amazon merchandise through their own Web sites.

I found Amazon's most useful web API is its XML API not the SOAP
interface. :)

> Microsoft provides the MapPoint Web service, which provides a Web API to
> MapQuest.

MapPoint.NET has a very complex SOAP interface. It does not work with Axis
out-of-the-box because it requires HTTP DIGEST AUTH. You have to hack the
HTTP transport class a little bit to make it work. Again, MP.NET provides
a 45-day trial. After that, you need to pay big $$$. It is oriented toward
corporate customers who do a lot of Geo-encoding.

cheers
Michael
Read Michael Yuan's technology articles
http://www.enterprisej2me.com/articles.php
Dr. Dobbs Journal, JavaWorld, IBM developerWorks and more ...

RE: examples

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
You can find lots of examples/demos at www.xmethods.com.

In terms of "real" Web services and in response to Dennis's comment...

Google's Web API is free, supplied as an experiment and to promote goodwill.
But the Web service actually undermines Google's business model (collecting
revenues from advertising), since the API users don't see ads.

Amazon's Web API is not available to the general public. It's designed for
B2B business relationships. It allows Amazon's affiliates to use Amazon's
catalog to sell Amazon merchandise through their own Web sites.

Microsoft provides the MapPoint Web service, which provides a Web API to
MapQuest.

Kinko's provides a Web API that allows you to submit print jobs directly
from an Office application on your desktop using the File, Print... menu.

Fedex and UPS provide Web APIs that let you integrate your business
applications with their logisitics systems.

555-1212.com provides a Web API to its online telephone directory.

Salesforce.com provides a Web API to its hosted CRM system.

These last two companies are "software-as-a-service" companies, but keep in
mind that Web services is an after-thought for both of them. Initially their
services were browser-based online services. Customers requested
programmatic interfaces, so they implemented them with Web services. The
point is that Web services don't form the foundation of a business model.
They just provide a programmatic interface to some application code. If you
don't have a viable business model to support software-as-a-service before
Web services, then Web services won't help make you successful.

As Dennis said, many companies use Web services to implement B2B
connections, but most companies use Web services simply to perform
integration within their own organization.

Anne

Re: examples

Posted by rf <ru...@yahoo.com>.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Re: examples

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.

RE: examples

Posted by Chris Williamson <ch...@wolfram.com>.
Microsoft and IBM have a few that are okay.

Microsoft has a partnership with mapquest.  You are required to pay for the
service, but they have a trial license available.  They also have a Terra
Service for free.  Both of these seem like nice examples, although I haven't
delved very deep into using them.

IBM has two that I have seen.  An Image converter and a chart service.  I
have not used IBM's yet, but they seem fairly practical for lightweight
platforms.

You can find these on xmethods.

Chris

Re: examples