Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com> on 2003/07/10 20:54:13 UTC

[VELTOOLS] build and javadoc with 1.3.1 fails

Say folks -

I pulled velocity-tools out of CVS fresh and tried to build w/ Java
1.3.1 - dies because Datasource and javax.sql.Datasource cannot be
resolved.

Builds fine with JDK 1.4.1 - so it looks like jdbc2 needs to be added to
the libs.

And upon further reflection - I notice that the javadoc task fails too
Need to add xerces.jar and then all is good.

Say - anybody know if ant can conditionally include jars like these
based on java compiler being used?

Timo

RE: [VELTOOLS] build and javadoc with 1.3.1 fails

Posted by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com>.
> [javadoc task] fails?
> i see it has some warnings, but i don't think those
> actually affect the output.
Technically, not a 'failed build'... sorry. Didn't mean to confuse. It
looks like the javadocs won't reference correctly for the xml stuff,
adding xerces shuts the warnings up, fyi.

> > Say - anybody know if ant can conditionally include jars like these
> > based on java compiler being used?

Nathan took this innocent off topic question and turned it into a
suggestion. ;-)
> no thanks.  i'd rather make it a little, blah blah blah

I'm not suggesting anything - I'm just asking, can ant do this? I'm
curiuos. :-P

Thanks,

Posted by Nathan Bubna <na...@esha.com>.
Tim Colson said:
> I pulled velocity-tools out of CVS fresh and tried to build w/ Java
> 1.3.1 - dies because Datasource and javax.sql.Datasource cannot be
> resolved.
>
> Builds fine with JDK 1.4.1 - so it looks like jdbc2 needs to be added to
> the libs.

yeah, i did re-add it.  now i think i'm gonna take it back out and leave it to
jdk 1.3 users to specify it's location on their own.  i'm working with a
limited knowledge and understanding of these license concerns and would just
rather avoid the issue. :)

> And upon further reflection - I notice that the javadoc task fails too
> Need to add xerces.jar and then all is good.

fails?  i see it has some warnings, but i don't think those actually affect
the output.  anyway, i'll add a note about it and a dummy xerces.jar property
to build.properties to go with the jdbc.jar one.

> Say - anybody know if ant can conditionally include jars like these
> based on java compiler being used?

no thanks.  i'd rather make it a little, reasonable extra work to keep using
jdk 1.3.  as a general principle, i prefer to give people one more reason to
upgrade instead of taking on hackish workarounds like this.  we don't want to
abandon them, but why pander to them?

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com