Posted to announce@apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2008/04/02 04:32:00 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache CXF 2.0.5-incubator is released!

I hate to do this on April 1st as it's not a joke, but...

The Apache Incubator CXF team is proud to announce the availability of
the 2.0.5 release!

Apache CXF is an open source services framework. CXF helps you build
and develop services using frontend programming APIs, like JAX-WS. These
services can speak a variety of protocols such as SOAP, XML/HTTP,
RESTful HTTP, or CORBA and work over a variety of transports such as
HTTP, JMS or JBI.

CXF includes a broad feature set, but it is primarily focused on the
following areas:

* Web Services Standards Support: CXF supports a variety of web service
standards including SOAP, the Basic Profile, WSDL, WS-Addressing,
WS-Policy, WS-ReliableMessaging, and WS-Security.

* Frontends: CXF supports a variety of "frontend" programming models. CXF
provides a JAX-WS Compliant frontend. It also includes a "simple
frontend" which allows creation of clients and endpoints without
annotations. CXF supports both contract first development with WSDL and
code first development starting from Java.

* Ease of use: CXF is designed to be intuitive and easy to use. There
are simple APIs to quickly build code-first services, Maven plug-ins to
make tooling integration easy, JAX-WS API support, Spring 2.0 XML
support to make configuration a snap, and much more.

This release is mostly a patch release to fix problems and issues (over
30 JIRA items resolved) that users have encountered in the
2.0.4-incubator release.

For more information see:
 * Download: http://incubator.apache.org/cxf/download.html
 * Website: http://incubator.apache.org/cxf/
 * Release Notes:
http://incubator.apache.org/cxf/apache-cxf-205-incubating-release-notes.html

If you have feedback, questions or would like to get involved in the CXF
project please join the mailing lists and let us know your thoughts.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Long running process and threads

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 07 April 2008, Sica, David (David) wrote:
> I'm creating a web service that needs to do some processing that will
> take too long to perform and return to the client synchronously.  I'm
> considering giving the client back a transactionid immediately,
> storing it in a database, then spawning a thread which will do the
> long running task and update the database mapping between the
> transactionid and the results which the client can query later.
>
> My main question is if there's anything special I should consider
> about spawning threads from a CXF web service in this fashion or if
> this is a bad idea?
>
> Thanks,
> David

That should all work perfectly.

Another option to consider though:  if the clients are in a position
where they can open a port/service, you COULD have the client create a
callback service and pass the WSA refernce to that service to the
server.   When the server is done, it would just call back on the
callback to say "done".  That does require the server to be able to open
ports back to the client though.   That could be problematic with
firewalls/routers and such.

Couple notes:
1) We have a callback demo that show this.

2) This will be easier with 2.1 as the WSA support is built right into
the JAX-WS API's.  No need to drop to CXF proprietary stuff.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA

Posted by Christian Vest Hansen <ka...@gmail.com>.
Should work just fine, especially if you only rely on jax-ws or
somesuch interface for communicating with the outside world. That is
to say, if you don't work directly with the CXF innards such as the
bus, the exchange and interceptors, during your concurrent execution -
not that I don't think there's a good and thread-safe way to do this,
I just caution to a little thinking toward getting it right.

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards,
Christian Vest Hansen.

Long running process and threads