Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Amila Maha Arachchi <am...@wso2.com> on 2014/05/07 14:03:01 UTC

Concern regarding the "ping" topic used in Stratos

Hi Devs,

I am working with a Stratos deployment these days. In our deployment, we
are using WSO2 Message Broker as the message broker. There I see the
following log getting printed very frequently (every second).

TID: [0] [MB] [2014-05-05 08:31:52,352]  INFO
{org.wso2.andes.server.exchange.TopicExchange} -  Message routing key: ping
No routes. {org.wso2.andes.server.exchange.TopicExchange}

TID: [0] [MB] [2014-05-05 08:31:52,352]  WARN
{org.wso2.andes.server.AMQChannel} -  MESSAGE DISCARDED: No routes for
message - Message[(HC:449176483 ID:366318838955900928 Ref:0)]:
366318838955900928; ref count: 0 {org.wso2.andes.server.AMQChannel}

TID: [0] [MB] [2014-05-05 08:31:52,621]  INFO
{org.wso2.andes.server.exchange.TopicExchange} -  Message routing key: ping
No routes. {org.wso2.andes.server.exchange.TopicExchange}

TID: [0] [MB] [2014-05-05 08:31:52,621]  WARN
{org.wso2.andes.server.AMQChannel} -  MESSAGE DISCARDED: No routes for
message - Message[(HC:1522105342 ID:366318839026417664 Ref:0)]:
366318839026417664; ref count: 0 {org.wso2.andes.server.AMQChannel}

I came to know that this is due to a mechanism used to check whether the
Message Broker (MB) is alive. i.e. subscribers publish an event to this
"ping" topic to see whether the MB is alive, but no one is consuming it.
Thats why the above log is getting printed.

Since no one is consuming this messages, is it possible that MB gets loaded
with this message and cause problems?

Regards,
Amila.

--
*Amila Maharachchi*
Senior Technical Lead

Blog: http://maharachchi.blogspot.com
Mobile: +94719371446

Re: Concern regarding the "ping" topic used in Stratos

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
Hi Amila,

Yes it shouldn't be a problem. The only concern is that we need to define a
time interval which is less than the time it takes to restart the message
broker. Otherwise the health check won't notice the unavailability of the
message broker and as a result message subscribers will not get
re-connected. Consequently messages won't get received thereafter.

Thanks

Posted by Amila Maha Arachchi <am...@wso2.com>.
Re-igniting this thread:

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.