Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Tim B <mo...@optonline.net> on 2004/10/04 23:24:02 UTC

SMP and Make

what are the best options to use when building SpamAssassin on an SMP
system?  and during which step do I use those switches?

Re: SMP and Make

Posted by Tim B <mo...@optonline.net>.
Theo Van Dinter wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 05:24:02PM -0400, Tim B wrote:
>
>>what are the best options to use when building SpamAssassin on an SMP
>>system?  and during which step do I use those switches?
>

> You don't really get any benefit out of the "-j" switch in our "make".
> There's only 1 thing which gets compiled, and a handful of file/copy
> commands.
>
> But "make -j 2" (or whatever number) will do it.

Thanks  I won't sweat it then, was just looking to make the most out of
a nice shiny new 4way server

Re: SMP and Make

Posted by Teun Vink <te...@moonblade.net>.
On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 17:25 -0400, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 05:24:02PM -0400, Tim B wrote:
> > what are the best options to use when building SpamAssassin on an SMP
> > system?  and during which step do I use those switches?
>
> You don't really get any benefit out of the "-j" switch in our "make".
> There's only 1 thing which gets compiled, and a handful of file/copy
> commands.
>
> But "make -j 2" (or whatever number) will do it.

Of course, it's still useful to make sure your kernel does support SMP,
so your spamd processes (and all other processes for that matter) will
be distributed over all available processors.

Teun

Re: SMP and Make

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.

--