Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by COLLINEAU Franck FTRD/DMI/TAM <fr...@rd.francetelecom.com> on 2002/07/09 11:51:49 UTC

mod_jk problem

Greetings,

i try to start apache with mod_jk. I compiled mod_jk using the source-dist
and copy mod_jk.so to APACHE/libexec. The lines in my httpd.conf are:

LoadModule jk_module libexec/mod_jk.so
AddModule mod_jk.c

when i try to start apache i got this error:

./bin/apachectl start
Syntax error on line 207 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Can't locate API module structure `jk_module=B4 in file
/usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_jk.so: /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_jk.so:
undefined symbol: jk_module
./bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

Line 207 is the LoadModule Line above.

thanks in advance

Franck

Re: mod_jk problem

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Steve, I'd _love_ to help you - I would.  I'm running on Linux though -
and with a much older version of Apache (1.3.23).  So far as the config
goes, I'm still quite shaky on it.  If all you want to do is set up one
server - or even multiple load-balanced servers, it's not that bad I
don't think.  You might take a look at http://www.ubeans.com/tomcat/.
 That's what I used as my guide.  You can get the "dll" files (I'm
guessing you're on Windows) from the binary distributions.  It's not
(IMHO) real easy to find the one you want.  I'm not certain I have "the
one I want" - but "it works".  There's also a proportedly useful
walkthrough on jboss.org for setting up with the newer Apaches.

If you look over that stuff and still have problems, post here again.
 I'll try and keep an eye on this thread.  I know how frustrating this
can be.

Regards,

Eddie Bush

Re: mod_jk problem

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
You've successfully stumped me.  Don't feel as though it is a great
accomplishment though ;-)  Every time I feel I "nearly have my mind
around" this stuff, I realize another aspect that I am clueless about.

My inference is that people who want to load-balance use mod_jk.  Using
mod_jk (to me) is indicative of Apache + Tomcat.  You want to do
standalone.  If you're willing to install Apache to get load-balancing
going, then check out http://www.ubeans.com/tomcat/.  That was my
"guide" to making mod_jk "work for me".  You should be able to gleen a
lot of information out of that.  If you're insistent on doing
standalone, I wish you the best luck!

So far as "Tomcat's SSL performance" goes - I have done no benchmarks.
 In fact, I don't use TC for SSL.  What I do is use Apache to serve
static content and handle SSL "translation" for me.  I haven't messed
with the SSL stuff yet at all since I upgraded the OS on my dev box, but
that is not far down the road (I wanted to be sure I had the "basics"
before I added "bells & whistles").  Apache (mod_ssl) will do it though
- not Tomcat.  I did have SSL going just fine on the previous box - it
wasn't that bad at all.  Apache came to me with mod_ssl installed and
there were only minor modifications to make to get it working.

I haven't decided yet if redirection works - I've been having some
issues this morning that required my attention and haven't really gotten
to actually do any dvel work yet today.  Hopefully I will get to it
after lunch... or during lunch *contemplates ordering in*  If it's as
easy as I'm lead to believe from looking over the old TC 3.3 stuff it's
basically transparent.  I don't really see how this could be, but maybe
I'm wrong.  It would be really nice if we had the quality of
documentation for TC 4.* as (apparantly) exists for TC 3.*.  I think,
were that the case, this list would see a huge reduction in the number
of VERY confused people (put me in that group, please) that post.  Isn't
this fun?!

Hopefully my ramblings are of some use to you.  If the ubeans site
walk-through doesn't "cure your ills", let me know.  I will eventually
(a ways down the road, I think) be doing load-balancing.  I could always
(try to) set up load-balancing here on the dvel box and try to "make it go".

I too would "really appreciate some help on this" LOL - but apparantly
nobody knows how or cares to.  Hopefully you, Steve, and myself can work
this out!

Regards,

Eddie

Re: mod_jk problem

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
If you're using a piece of hardware to manager SSL-decode ... isn't
everything Tomcat does "clear text"?  Admittedly, I'm not super-familiar
with this sort of thing - but it sure seems to me like it would be.
 That being the case, you don't really care about Tomcat's SSL
performance - but simply about Tomcat's performance.

Re: mod_jk problem

Posted by David Mossakowski <dm...@Instinet.Com>.

--
David Mossakowski              dmoss@instinet.com
Instinet Corporation                 212.310.7275

<<Disclaimer>>

may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or
CONFIDENTIAL or both.

This email is intended only for the personal and confidential use
of the recipient(s) named above.

If the reader of this email is not an intended recipient, you have
received this email in error and any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.

immediately by return mail and permanently deleting the copy
you received.

Thank you.

Re: mod_jk problem

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

Re: mod_jk problem

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Eddie Bush wrote:

> Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:38:04 -0500
> From: Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: mod_jk problem
>
> You peaked my interest.  I did some digging.  I see no mention of doing
> load-balancing that does not include Apache.  There are other ways:
>
> DNS Load Balancing (affinity not guaranteed - dead server = bad requests)
> Clustering (better - but SSL geeks affinity)
>
> As it happens, you can wire a hardware SSL-decoder in front of your
> cluster-manager and overcome the shortcomings of that approach.  I think
> the best solution is Apache + Tomcat though.  It's undoubtedly
> cheaper/easier.  So - you ready to install Apache yet?  Breeze over to
> the Oreilly site and look for "Apache Wrangler" and something called
> LAMP.  You'll find an article that will point you to a script that will
> download/install Apache + SSL (it even "pre-configures" it for you -
> whatever that means).  If you have the option of using RPMs, I'd go with
> that option though.  RPM == good (IMHO).

One thing you will need to ensure is that your load balancing solution
routes all requests for the same session back to the same Tomcat instance
(like the balancing through Apache does).

> HTH,
>
> Eddie

Craig

Re: mod_jk problem