Posted to log4php-dev@logging.apache.org by Johannes Frandsen <js...@imento.dk> on 2009/05/05 15:46:25 UTC

Not to sound ungrateful but....

could we focus on committing code that doesn't break log4php....

I recognize that log4php never actually has been labeled as stable but
I have used it as svn external in my project for several months
without problems until today where everything starts to break.

If major rewrites are in the making could we create a stable branch
meanwhile!

So in recap....... love the increased activity on this project....love
the project......but please check your code before you commit major
changes or update the website before you make the changes

Regards

Joe

Re: Not to sound ungrateful but....

Posted by Knut Urdalen <kn...@php.no>.
Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> However, what broke? Do you have a error message?
> I think the biggest problem is that lack of test cases. We really need
> to improve those quickly to make a refactoring more safe.

All examples should be working fine now with the latest commit (needed 3
commits to fix LOG4PHP-41).

Now I'm over to cleaning up the unit test suite according to new names
and directory structure.

I've already called for help [1] when it comes to improving our unit
test suite, hope that we can get someone else on board as well for QA,
that would be great!

Knut

[1]
http://www.nabble.com/Call-for-help%3A-Improving-our-unit-test-suite-tt23315889.html#a23315889

Re: Not to sound ungrateful but....

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe,

> could we focus on committing code that doesn't break log4php....

we have that policy :-)

However, what broke? Do you have a error message?
I think the biggest problem is that lack of test cases. We really need
to improve those quickly to make a refactoring more safe.

> If major rewrites are in the making could we create a stable branch
> meanwhile!

Sounds good! We should stabilize everything and make a branch then.
Sorry for the noise.

Anyway, error message would help lots! Thanks!
Cheers,
Christian

Re: Not to sound ungrateful but....

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe,

> Could we create tags and branches so we have the following structure:
> It seems this is the favored structure for most other svn based projects
> I've used + plus it's the structure I use myself in my projects.

its already done, see this:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/log4php

> If you need help on the project I would like to volunteer.
> I have ~10 years php experience with php programming and good oop
> understading I use phpunit, phpdocumentor and cruisecontrol for my own projects.

Definitly! You are welcome!

Please read this:
http://apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html

Basically we would like to see your patches applied on JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4PHP

Of course you are free to send em to the mailinglist too. After review
we will apply your patch to the code and add you to the CHANGELOG
file.

You are defintly welcome. As you have noticed yourself, we need help
with writing phpunit tests. If you could help here, we would
appreciate it. I created a Jira issue for this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4PHP-42

Please apply unit tests there.

Anyway, thanks for offering your help and if you need some more
information, feel free to ask!
Christian

Re: Not to sound ungrateful but....

Posted by Johannes Frandsen <js...@imento.dk>.
Hi

Could we create tags and branches so we have the following structure:

./
  branches/
  tags/
  trunk/

Posted by Knut Urdalen <kn...@php.no>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Knut Urdalen <kn...@php.no>.
Johannes Frandsen wrote:
> could we focus on committing code that doesn't break log4php....

We have been doing that for quite some time now. But there has also been
a wish to clean up naming and structure. This is the time to fix it
(before we release 2.0). By bumping the version number from 0.9 to 2.0
we should be allowed to do these changes.
> I recognize that log4php never actually has been labeled as stable but
> I have used it as svn external in my project for several months
> without problems until today where everything starts to break.
That you use svn:externals on another project trunk is your own risk.

> If major rewrites are in the making could we create a stable branch
> meanwhile!
Why not just check out the revision you would like to use? The last
"stable" release of log4php was 0.9 many years ago. We haven't
officially release the PHP 5 version yet. And we are working on many
minor and major improvements which we hope everyone using log4php will
appreciate when we release a stable version.

> So in recap....... love the increased activity on this project....love
> the project......but please check your code before you commit major
> changes or update the website before you make the changes
Some of the changes today will break because I have to change a few
things over more than 1-2 commits. Sorry, but that's how trunk works. It
will be a bit unstable from time to time, but the cleanup is always
around the corner :)

Knut