Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/26 14:25:33 UTC

A few stats about Apache Groovy

Hi all,

The RebelLabs '17 report ranks Apache Groovy 3rd in language popularity,
right behind Java 7 and Java 8:
https://zeroturnaround.com/rebellabs/developer-productivity-report-2017-why-do-you-use-java-tools-you-use/

And I wanted to share some recent download stats, combining downloads from
Maven Central and Bintray.

For the first 8 months of 2017, Groovy was downloaded more than 30 million
times!
Compare this with the 23.4M for the whole of 2018!

Groovy was downloaded more than 4 million times a month those past 4 months.
And in August, we even reached 5M+ downloads!

Not bad, right? :-)

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Laforge

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114130972232398734985/posts>

Re: A few stats about Apache Groovy

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
That's a very good question.
I'm not sure how to really interpret those nice figures.
There are things that can clearly be explained, for example the bump in
2015 when we moved to the ASF, giving confidence in the future of the
project.
But for example, what does the dent in March 2017 mean? I can't manage to
correlate to any particular event, although we had the first alpha of 2.5
in addition to the release of 2.4.10.

Posted by Andres Almiray <aa...@gmail.com>.
I'd be keen in knowing more about how the groovy JARs are consumed.

We know Grails used to be "the gateway drug" for Groovy from 2005 until
Gradle took over that role.Now it's say it's Jenkins, however these tools
bundle Groovy in their distros thus the spike in downloads *may* not be
completely attributed to them. Most of the projects I run use Groovy in one
way or another, of which that are Open Source projects are built via Travis
and their dependencies are cached thus there should be less hits over time
if the Groovy version did not change in their settings.

go Groovy!

Java Champion; Groovy Enthusiast
http://andresalmiray.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/aalmiray