Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2002/10/08 11:01:51 UTC

Chaining order (Re: [VOTE] Input module chaining)

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 10:26:42AM +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
[snip defaulting example]

> Ok, thanks for your help - sorry, I'm jumping into this a little bit
> late, but I have to question this concept.
> As far as I understand this, the chaining is configured in the cocoon.xconf.
> Each Input Module is configured with a "default" input module in the
> case it doesn't know the value for a key, right?

That's how I think it should work, but currently it's a bit different..

Right now, the 'default' module is configured so that when a request
is made to it, it will preferentially use some other module, only
falling back to it's own default values. Here's the definition:

<component-instance
        class="org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.DefaultsMetaModule"
        logger="core.modules.input" name="defaults">
  <input-module name="request-param"/>
  <values>
    <skin>defaultSkin</skin>
    <base-url>http://localhost:8080/cocoon</base-url>
  </values>
</component-instance>

So the user would say {default:skin}, and get the 'skin' request
parameter, or if not present, 'defaultSkin'.

IMO this is backwards. The user should use {request:skin}, not
{defaults:skin}.

What do people think? Chris?

--Jeff